Possible infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxchienxx

Reaction score
Hey there, I’ve started two batches of mead in June and everything was fine until I back sweetened them on last Saturday. I’m guessing they might be infected.

I was using the M05 yeast and the primary fermentation took about 2 weeks. I then re-racked it in July and back sweetened the batches on last Saturday. The mead were quite clear and there were no signs of infection until I checked them again this morning.
Unfortunately, I did not have a gravity reading because I was trying to keep the tools that I was using to the minimum. All of my tools and equipments were sterilised with both Stellar San phosphoric acid and 70% ethanol.

Should I just dump it or is it worth keeping the batch?
B5A55F50-C060-4CF7-A060-8F855E5F5DEA.jpeg

Attachments

• 975C2984-DAF7-42ED-8A6D-821F2269DEEE.jpeg
    975C2984-DAF7-42ED-8A6D-821F2269DEEE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 11E5D452-5A15-47EC-90C3-5BB3EB5B71F4.jpeg
    11E5D452-5A15-47EC-90C3-5BB3EB5B71F4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Believe it or not, That looks normal. That could be any one of my meads. Yeast rafts are common. If you have serious doubts about whether it is still good, taste it. If it tastes fine, chances are better than average that it's fine.

Thanks for your suggestion. I might it a try tomorrow. Do you think if I should re-rack them if they taste alright?

Cool. They are currently being kept using the airlock and I would have to transfer them into smaller glass bottles with tight seal. Would I be ok for me to start the process tomorrow? Also, if I were to start putting them in a fridge, would it be ok for me to store them at room temperature after that? Thanks.

Wait a minute- did you stabilize the mead before backsweetening? If not, then you just added more sugars for the yeast to feed on. So, it wouldn't be a surprise at all if the fermentation started up again.

Yup, I forgot to stabilise it before I back sweeten it. And I just checked the airlock and saw some bubbles coming off at about 1 per minute. Should I stabilise it with potassium sorbate or just leave it be?

Yup, I forgot to stabilise it before I back sweeten it. And I just checked the airlock and saw some bubbles coming off at about 1 per minute. Should I stabilise it with potassium sorbate or just leave it be?

I’d let the yeast finish out then next week stabilize the mead with potassium sorbate and Metasulphite. Then Take a gravity read. Then add more honey to back sweeten.
I back sweeten my meads to 1.020 but that’s a personal preference I like mine on the sweet side.

Back