Possible idea for step mashing with Igloo MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyPolock

Reaction score
So I came up with an idea for step mashing with an igloo MLT and I am curious what the HBT community here would think for this process.

Instead of boiling a small amount of grain and mash via a traditional decoction method, what about just draining out the entire mash from the MLT and then heating it up on a stove to the desired temperature, going for an extra 10 degrees or so then adding it back to the grain bed. I would also have some boiling water on hand to adjust the mash temp due to the grain bed needing to be heated up as well.

Does this sound like a reasonable option for providing two or three different mash rest temperatures? Would I be missing out on a potential flavor change by not doing it the traditional way and boiling some of the grain? Are there any risks other than possible hot side areation by pouring the mash back into the grain bed after heating?

Heating all the mash water to a higher temp would denature the enzymes in the water. This could be used for a mashout though, decoction mashouts often recommend using mostly water as opposed to the previous mostly grain decoction steps. Heating your grain helps with starch extraction, heating your water does not and it will denature some of your enzymes.

Im hoping to eventually just go with a HERMS setup... of course that's going to take the next 5 years to piece together without destroying my budget :) Why not just start with a higher grain to water ratio and do infusions and skip the mash out?

Heating all the mash water to a higher temp would denature the enzymes in the water.

I don't think heating the mash runnings from 145 (or whatever) to 155 (or whatever) would denature anything. It would take awhile, not sure what effect having those grains sitting in there, dry, would have.

if you want to step in a cooler, you have 2 options. add some water, then add hotter water. other option: drain water, then add hotter water. the grain won't cool off if you close the lid. so if you drain it, leave the lid closed, heat up the mash, and dump it back in when it's hotter. all's good

Back