Portland Oregon must stop breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmac62

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know this has been done before, and will likely be done again, but the wife and I are headed up to Portland for the week of July 4th. We are staying in the downtown area, but not afraid to get on public Trans to get to a new brewery. Suggestions would be appreciated, both what not to miss and what not to waste my time on. Thanks :mug:

My absolute favorite place in Portland for beer and food is Stammtisch.

Cascade, Great Notion, Modern Times, Hair of the Dog.

And go out to Hood River and visit pFriem. Or McMinnville to visit Heater Allen.

Cascade for sours

Horse Brass for fish n chips and great tap list

Loyal Legion for ~99 Oregon-made beers/ciders on tap.

All relatively close to each other in SE Portland.

If you are talking just breweries, not tap houses:
Cascade for sours.
Great Notion- especially hazy IPAs, but also imperial stouts and sours.
Upright- farmhouse, barrel aged, sours.
Breakside- everything, but especially barrel aged, culinary inspired, IPAs.
Hopworks- everything, with a real Portland feel.

Of course, Stammtisch doesn't have any Oregon or Portland beers on tap...

Exactly.. and that's what I like most about it. Instead they have quite a few very well made fresh German beers on tap.

I am planning on a trip to the coast (Astoria). Is St. George a brewery or just something to see? Thanks, "mug"

It's an awesome brewery in Astoria. Great stouts and IPAs along with very good food. If you go, visit Buoy and Reach Break breweries too. De Garde is a LONG drive south from there to Tillamook, but nationally ranked high on Rate Beer because of their sour program and well worth it. Astoria is likely to be a solid 2 hour drive or a little more from Portland, so tough to do for a day trip.

I know this has been done before, and will likely be done again, but the wife and I are headed up to Portland for the week of July 4th. We are staying in the downtown area, but not afraid to get on public Trans to get to a new brewery. Suggestions would be appreciated, both what not to miss and what not to waste my time on. Thanks :mug:

It's an awesome brewery in Astoria. Great stouts and IPAs along with very good food. If you go, visit Buoy and Reach Break breweries too. De Garde is a LONG drive south from there to Tillamook, but nationally ranked high on Rate Beer because of their sour program and well worth it. Astoria is likely to be a solid 2 hour drive or a little more from Portland, so tough to do for a day trip.

Thanks for the info, if we make it to Astoria I'll definitely check out St. George and some of the other breweries :mug:

I am planning on a trip to the coast (Astoria). Is St. George a brewery or just something to see? Thanks, "mug"
Correct...sorry. There's a
haunted distillery "Pilot House?" around the corner. And yes, I experienced something odd while sampling.

We stayed in Portland (with one day in Vancouver WA). Our hotel was in the pearl. It was like 5 or 6 breweries within 10 blocks. I had a flight in at least 20+ breweries. Had a great time and lots of good beer and ciders. First stop was descutes, then 10 barrel. Stormbreaker and HUB are two I remember, but not really the beer. Too many to list, but had a great time. I'd love to go back soon. Thanks for asking. :mug:

Good for you. To be honest, a WEEK LONG stay in Portland is probably not long enough to hit all the great breweries !!

Last edited:
Since you've already gone, my suggestion list is not much help..... unless you perhaps go again sometime !!
My top ten in no particular order.

1. Cascade Barrel House - All sours - all the time. Some great stuff here that you'll never see in the store.
2. Hair of the Dog - Its just a place you have to go
3. Upright Brewing - tuff hours but the location is outstanding. The brews are really good too.
4. Horse Brass Pub - Just to tip one to visionary Don Younger (God rest his soul) at his own establishment. Always a great tap list.
5. 10 Barrel
Something is wrong. My RIP list is larger than my go-to list.

R.I.P.
1. Alameda Brewing
2. Burnside Brewing
3.Tugboat Brewing
4.Bridgeport Brewing
5. Widmer Brothers Pub
6. Green Dragon

Latest posts

Back