Portland - Hillsboro

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s3n8

Reaction score
Going to Portland next week for work, staying in Hillsboro. Any good brew pubs in the area? Not going to have too much time, but will definitely be seeking out some left coast brews. Any recommendations?

Without coming into downtown and staying out near Hillsboro you've got some McMenamins in the area. Not the best, but they are a piece of the NW and you should visit at least once in your life.

Ill take what I can get... But I think I will have to venture into the city one night, is it easy to find a cab downtown? Where would you go if you had one night in the city?

Hillsboro? Yea there's sweet F all out there except McMenamin's. It's way out on the outskirts of the metro area, so there's not a lot to do out there. You can always ride the Max (light rail) into downtown if you're going to make a night of it, since Hillsboro's about 20 miles away from downtown. $2.30 Max fare each way vs. $50 taxi fare each way is easy math. Here's some good posts as to where to try in downtown.

Kilted, your avatar concerns me. A judo pug?

So we were out driving around last evening, and see a sign on 26 for Rogue Brew pub. They didn't have the location listed on the website, but there is the sign, lets go. Follow the GPS, park out front, looks like a little dive bar. Fine. They had 3 rogue beers on tap (all of which are available at my local supermarket in VA) a few Weinhards, and COORS FUKCING LITE. WTF. Seriously.

What the hell? I don't know where YOU went, but never heard of Rogue having Coors Lite.

Wait, was it [ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Rogue+Brewpub&sll=45.47607,-122.576991&sspn=0.326444,0.402374&ie=UTF8&ll=45.596744,-122.917099&spn=0.325744,0.402374&z=11&iwloc=B"]here?[/ame] Uhm, I think that's just a bar called Rogue Pub, but not part of the Rogue Nation.

Yeah, that was it. Rogue ought to do something about them abusing their name like that.

I was out in North Plains one time and saw that bar, but I'd never heard of a Rogue there. I checked online when I got home and they had nothing listed so I figured it was not a real Rogue Beer place. It really looks like it could be a Rogue pub from the outside though.

If you are still in the area you need to take the MAX into Portland. Hillsboro has nothing exciting.

From the "Rogue" website - "Once a walk-in cooler was installed in the bar area, the pub earned a reputation as having "the coldest beer in Washington County"-- a claim still true today!" Well, I guess they have that going for them, but sounds kinda like BMC marketing to me.

Yeah, that was it. Rogue ought to do something about them abusing their name like that.

Although their website isn't clear about when they started using the name, there are a few businesses in Oregon that have used the name "Rogue" much longer than the brewery.

They are all named after the same geographical feature and nobody seems to have a problem with it.

Rogue Creamery long pre-dates Rogue Ales but the two businesses have had a cooperative relationship.

Either way, sure Joyce is aware of this place and sure he isn't afraid to sue so I am guessing he is okay with it.

Back