Porter Recipe : Malt Flavor Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisroarshack

Reaction score
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: US-05
Yeast Starter: Nope
Batch Size (Gallons): 2.5
Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 26.69
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 37.45
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 24 Days at 63F
Additional Fermentation: None
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): None
Tasting Notes: Gyle is malty, almost Doppelbock like, but out of the bottle not as I expected.

MALTS

2.125 lb Munton’s Marris Otter (40.5)
2.125 lb Avangaard Light Munich (40.5)
.5 lb Briess Cara120 (9.5)
.375 lb Briess Chocolate (7.1)
.125 lb Briess Black (2.4)

HOPS

18 g East Kent Goldings (90 mins)

YEAST

US-05

MASH

60 mins: Single Infusion, at 154. 2 gallons.
10 mins: Mash-out at 168
Sparge with 2 gallons.

FERMENTATION

24 days at 63
Bottle to low carbonation with reserved gyle. Allow to carbonate for 3 weeks.
So I made the recipe as above. I BIAB and No-Chill in my system so my hop additions at 60 min end up being more like 90 min additions. I didn’t rehydrate the yeast for this batch. I opened a bottle after 3 weeks of carbing, and the beer was alright but not as malty as I expected. The gyle tasted a lot like a Doppelbock and I was excited to see how it fermented out, but now I’m not so excited. I want to hear some critiques of the malt grist and the yeast choice, and some proposals on how to bump up the maltiness (Use a less attenuative yeast, mash hotter, up calcium chloride, use aromatic malt). Anyone get a crazy nice malty beer with US-05?

I made a porter with 30% brown malt and that was very malty, like layers of bread, burnt cake and maltloaf. Nothing like a bock, though. At least it had bucketloads of hops and bitterness to compensate for it.

I don't think we have such malty beers in the UK, though. They might be more malt balanced, but very rarely they are that heavy.

Melanoidin Malt and/or Victory malt if you want to add in some real nice malty flavor!

Well with 2 weeks of patience the recipe is tasting much more as expected so I'll chalk that up to newbishness and impatience. I just boiled up another iteration of this, gunna see if using an English less attenuative yeast and minorly changing the malt bill will get me that sweet spot.

Thanks for the comments!

Tried almost the same malt bill, but used Windsor for the yeast. My Fast-Ferment test sample was spot on what I wanted, even in unregulated temps. The attenuation of course was 60ish. Not a bad thing when you have a small beer AND the taste is what you want.

SO, for those of you revisiting this thread looking for a lesson, change your yeast, see what happens for yourself. Because it's hard to quantify an experimentation of taste.

Back