Porter Problems...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjandt

Reaction score
Thinking I messed up a lot on my first porter and am looking for some feedback on any personal experiences anyone has had with this stuff:

While steeping my grain, I forgot to take the pot off the burner, and the temp got up to about 180F. Does that mean I've released a bunch of off flavor producing tannin into my beer? I've read both ways that some people just boil their grain and it's fine, other swear by keeping it between 150-165.

After pouring in my extract, some of it got burnt on the bottom of the pot because my stirrer couldn't reach some areas. I got the black flakes coming off the bottom. Not a ton, but enough to wonder if that will impact flavor. Not worried about SG or ABV, just flavor.

I could not cool the wort down to 70 before I pitched my yeast. I was already late for an appointment, and ended up pitching it while the wort was about 100 degrees. The packet said to pitch between 80 and 92 degrees. I'm getting a great krausen, so obviously they didn't die. Anyone have any issues with esters from pitching when the wort was too hot?

Finally, I'd like to keg this and have it drinkable by October 25. I don't plan on racking to a secondary, just kegging right from the primary. The instructions say to wait three weeks if I don't do a secondary. That would put me at kegging about three days before the 25th. If I force carbonate it, chances it will be drinkable by the 25th, or still WAY too green?

My own fault for rushing and trying to have a beer ready for a party I'm throwing, and I don't want my guests to all walk away thinking my beer sucks. From what I think I did, looks like that's a very real possibility, eh?

Heating the whole thing is questionable: I've read a bunch of things that say the 178F limit is highly pH dependent. If your pH was low enough you can boil the mash (that's how a decoction is done, you boil the very thickest part of the mash that is mostly grain very little water), so 180F isn't automatically a deal breaker.
As for the burnt bits... all depends how many there were. Might add a smokey character, might taste like burnt toast.
Would have been better to wait until after the appt to pitch (assuming it wasn't a 3day appt). Depending on when you brewed it, it wouldn't hurt to put the fermenter in an ice bath to reduce the temp to limit off flavors. I've never had fermentation temperature render something bad. Different? Likely. But never bad. And a good porter should have enough flavor to stand up to a little hot yeast character.
Unfortunately the 3 weeks is likely to be your biggest problem. Even if you take 2 days to cold crash before kegging it's likely not going to be as good for the party as the remnants will be the week after...

Heating the whole thing is questionable: I've read a bunch of things that say the 178F limit is highly pH dependent. If your pH was low enough you can boil the mash (that's how a decoction is done, you boil the very thickest part of the mash that is mostly grain very little water), so 180F isn't automatically a deal breaker.
As for the burnt bits... all depends how many there were. Might add a smokey character, might taste like burnt toast.
Would have been better to wait until after the appt to pitch (assuming it wasn't a 3day appt). Depending on when you brewed it, it wouldn't hurt to put the fermenter in an ice bath to reduce the temp to limit off flavors. I've never had fermentation temperature render something bad. Different? Likely. But never bad. And a good porter should have enough flavor to stand up to a little hot yeast character.
Unfortunately the 3 weeks is likely to be your biggest problem. Even if you take 2 days to cold crash before kegging it's likely not going to be as good for the party as the remnants will be the week after...

I second all of this. Could turn out to be an ok beer you never know. Probably won't be horrible though.

Thanks for the insights. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. If it ends up with a smoky undertone, I'll just call it a smoked porter :)

I think my biggest problem is just not having enough time between the end of fermentation and time to let it age properly.

Will have to drink some on the 25th, then save some for a couple weeks later and see the difference! Then when it's almost all gone, brew some more!!

It will be drinkable for sure, but Porter's need to age. I like at least 6 weeks aging before drinking.

i found my porters and stouts used to take 1-2 months longer to age than my other beers until I dialed in pH. now they take the same time.

180 f = fine. No problems.

Burnt extract = no problem. The caramelization may add to the flavor (in a positive way).

Pitching at 100 f = bad. You didn't say what yeast you used. I would suspect you will have more yeast/fruit flavors. While a fault, some may like that. I would also expect to find it has a hot alcohol flavor. This probably will not disapate even with age. People unfamiliar with it might like the beer as it may taste strong ....... just don't tell them, so they don't blame their headaches on your beer.

Porter being a dark beer can be on tap quick. The color will hide some haze. There is nothing magic about three weeks. Keg at 2. Just don't move or shake it up, and pull the furst couple for yourself to get rid of any sediment before offering it to your guests.

If it was dry yeast you may be OK, you essentially pitched it at rehydration temperature, so depending on how fast you cooled it from there, you may not have any noticeable issues.

i found my porters and stouts used to take 1-2 months longer to age than my other beers until I dialed in pH. now they take the same time.

I use distilled water for all my beers now that I found how horrible my Aqua Water Company water is. This may be a dumb question, but is distilled water considered good pH for stouts and porters? Is there anything I should add if not?

some 5.2 stabilizer is always a good bet and cheap for future brews. Also if you are mashing, you will find that the dark grains 100L and up act a lot like coffee. If they are to hot for to long, then they can be astringent (which will accentuate the fusel taste of a young beer) next time try a cold steep for 24 hours with the dark grains and then add them to the strike water. that will make it smoother beer and get more the flavors you are looking for.

Also, turn off all heat and wait a bit before adding your LME or DME and that should help you with the burning.

The 180 will increase the astringency of the dark grains but porters can stand up to a lot of misuse. It'll probably be an ok beer.

Back