Porter Pizza

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe C

Reaction score
After reading the following thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/spent-grain-pizza-137789/
I decided it was a good time to make a small (1 gallon) batch of Porter, and use some of it to make a spent grain pizza dough.

It snowballed.
I went full tilt with the recipe, making a roasted garlic and Porter pizza.

The beer was 2lbs toasted marris otter, .5lb chocolate malt, .5 black malt. .25oz of willamette@60, .25oz of CTZ@flameout. Simple, and tasty

Details:
Wheat flour, kosher salt, and wort. In the wort I pressed/mashed in 5 bulbs of roasted garlic.
1.jpg

While letting it rest, I put a bit of wheat flour on the top and bottom so that it doesn't stick. I know the picture isn't the best. I let it rest for over an hour.
2-1.jpg

I took some of the wort, blended it with kosher salt, chipotle pepper flakes, salt and black pepper. It was a bit harsh/bitter, so I added balsamic vinegar. It gave the marinade some awesome depth. Here is the chicken as it was marinating:
3.jpg

Here is the dough rolled out. I tried tossing it but it was a bit difficult, so I ended up using a rolling pin. That is an 18" pizza screen.
4.jpg

Toppings beginning to build. GF is happy. The sauce was a homemade arrabiata sauce that I adjusted for this pizza. I took the chicken marinade renderings and added it to the sauce. Gave it a great depth and awesome flavor to tie in the rest of the pizza.
5.jpg

Cheeses were the following: Fresh Mozz, Fontina, and Dubliner.

I also took fresh herbs from the garden (basil, oregano, and a little thyme). and I pressed them into some olive oil. This was used on the crust of the pizza.
DSCF2375.jpg

Here is the pizza getting prepped to go in. I also put peppers, onions, and a bit of prosciutto on there.
DSCF2376.jpg

MMMMMM....
DSCF2378.jpg

Final product!
DSCF2380.jpg

Overall, I'm quite happy with this pizza. It was paired with a bottle of Ruffino Reserva Chianti.

Your selection of wine is great for a home grown pizza. I have a few bottles of Chianti left over from a 6 gallon batch I made 2 years ago and I also have 12 gallons in carboys waiting to be bottled.

I plan to make a batch of dough on Tuesday and will use some frozen grain from a previous brew. I like the color of your dough in the pictures. I am sure the taste was extraordinary.

Salute! :mug:

Nice! I brewed a Biere de Garde last night. I saved a couple cups of spent grains. Looking to make a pizza tomorrow.

That is one scary cow.

Jeff

Your selection of wine is great for a home grown pizza. I have a few bottles of Chianti left over from a 6 gallon batch I made 2 years ago and I also have 12 gallons in carboys waiting to be bottled.

I plan to make a batch of dough on Tuesday and will use some frozen grain from a previous brew. I like the color of your dough in the pictures. I am sure the taste was extraordinary.

Salute! :mug:

We were going to crack a bottle of our year old lambrusco, but we decided against it. The chianti worked REAL well with it.

Back