Porkert grain mill vs others

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffman2

Reaction score
Just about to pull the plug on a grain mill so I can throw my hat into the Ugly Junk Mill club. One question, I was going for one of the cheap mills like (Victoria, Grizzly), but have found a Porkert for $48 on ebay right now. When looking up Porkerts I've seen the same one going for $100 and up.

Well, is the Porkert that far superior to my little knock offs I can get for $20 to $30????

Any die hard Porkert fans out there?:confused:

Yeah, I did that. I found that they were liked by the people that had them and even recommended in the same way that other corona style mills were recommended, but what I didn't see was anybody saying they were in a class above and beyond the other knockoffs. When I searched for the model 150 porkerts on ebay, google, and amazon they were going for way more ($100+) compared to others ($20 - 40).

So, I was just trying to find out if the porkert was really that much better to justify spending $50 on the one I found, or just going with one of the other cast iron knockoffs like Victoria or Grizzly.;)

My bad. I thought you were just looking for general opinions on the thing.

I'll go away noe. I've got no experience with the corona style mills. :D

My mill is a porkert and I love it. I didn't have the adjustment headaches that other corona users seem to have (needing washers etc). From what I've seen they do seem to be a higher quality casting. If I recall correctly my mill was around $50CAD.

I've never personally used the other mills though so you'll have to take that for what it's worth.

My mill is a porkert and I love it. I didn't have the adjustment headaches that other corona users seem to have (needing washers etc). From what I've seen they do seem to be a higher quality casting. If I recall correctly my mill was around $50CAD.

I've never personally used the other mills though so you'll have to take that for what it's worth.

Thanks brad, I'm gonna go ahead and get this mill. I'm sure it's gonna be great and it will help out a ton with my AG's! :)

I have one of the grizzly knock offs, and have had zero trouble with it.
But definitly buy what you feel comfortable with.

I have one of the grizzly knock offs, and have had zero trouble with it.
But definitly buy what you feel comfortable with.

Did you have to modify the gap for your crush?? If so, how bad was that. The threads on DIY mills make it seem very worth the small investment.

Not much adjustment needed, but using this type of mill, it is easy to adjust as needed. For me it was no big deal. I get great efficiency (68-72),and it was cheap.
Ill probably use this mill for quite a while, but may step up to a maltmill or barleychrusher when the price is right.

Back