Poppet question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
Can I just switch my pin lock poppet out for ball lock? My kegerator is set up primarily for ball lock but I've got 3 pin lock kegs. I'd like to turn one or two in to ball lock kegs so I can switch them out easier. Is that something I can do or do they not fit the same?

Should be able to. I've seen retrofit posts for sale that convert pin lock to ball lock.

I would not count on an oem poppet fitting a retrofit post.
There are iirc five different poppet types of various lengths and diameter of the "plug".
It just doesn't seem likely to be a lock...

[edit] Five it is :)
1617424481595.png

Cheers!

Good catch - the OP used poppet for post there :)
There are pin lock to ball lock conversion kits that come with poppets. I'd go with those.
Just make sure it's for the specific keg because as noted above there are three different threads used and some kegs use two different threads...
That said, one example...
https://www.amazon.com/Pin-Lock-Ball-Conversion-Post/dp/B00DDFGPXK

Cheers!

Yeah, sorry, I meant the whole post poppet set up. The conversion kit looks good. I guess I could always get some extra pin lock disconnects to switch in and out when I need too.

I would not count on an oem poppet fitting a retrofit post.
There are iirc five different poppet types of various lengths and diameter of the "plug".
It just doesn't seem likely to be a lock...

[edit] Five it is :)
View attachment 724447

Cheers!

Five is correct... something I unfortunately discovered when cleaning, I had all five types accross 20 kegs. I replaced them all with universal poppets. Very happy with that decision.

Back