Pony Keg Mash tun (1/4bbl)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lapoltba

Reaction score
I did some looking around here and with google and can't seem to find anyone that has tried this.

I am upgrading to a SS fermenter and putting together an electric keggle. I've got a 1/4 bbl pony keg that I was contemplating using as a mash tun as well as a 2nd 1/2bbl. I do 5g batches only and have absolutely zero reason to change to 10 any time in the near future. At 7G with a little head space, I think the pony keg can hold 15-17 lbs of grain for a mash. That seems like it would be adequate for all but the highest OG beers.

I also have another 1/2 bbl keg that already has the top cut on it. I can use that as the MT, but there would be a ton of extra room. If I did that I could keep the 1/4 as a HLT for my sparge. I think that would be enough sparge water for most anything.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it worth doing and which would you use for what?

Personally, I'd use the 1/2bbl for your Mt and the 1/4bbl for an hlt. You can always heat more water. It gives you plenty of flexibility for whatever you want to do with out limiting you much.

What are you planning on boiling in? You could do one step sparge in the 1/2 and boil in the 1/4 if you don't have another vessel. Or drain into buckets if you want to fly sparge/etc.

Personally, I'd use the 1/2bbl for your Mt and the 1/4bbl for an hlt. You can always heat more water. It gives you plenty of flexibility for whatever you want to do with out limiting you much.

What are you planning on boiling in? You could do one step sparge in the 1/2 and boil in the 1/4 if you don't have another vessel. Or drain into buckets if you want to fly sparge/etc.

I have a 2nd 1/2bbl that I had already planned (started) to convert to an e-keggle using a 15G Blichmann boilcoil.

Back