Pomergrante beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmj1980

Reaction score
Hello thinking of brewing a pomegranate beer and was wondering if anyone has a good recipe or knows of a website with one. I have about 25 fresh pomegranates hanging over my fence from my neighbors tree which they don't care if I have cause the dont eat them so any help will be greatly welcomed thank

Tap 1: Black IPA
Tap 2: Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Fermenter 1: Anderson Valley Clone
Fermenter 2: Honey Cream Ale

Up next : Stone ruination clone

most hits are in the Wit bier range? something lite i would say, not too much hops so the pomegranate shines?

Pomegranate Wheat beer. I've used one gallon fresh squeezed pomegranate juice per 5 gallons beer for a tart, pink beer. I added the juice to the primary after active fermentation. I also shocked the juice with k-meta, but almost killed the beer. I had to rouse for a couple of days until the second krausen formed--be careful with that stuff...

For the juice, it is recommended to shuck the seeds underwater. Separate from pith, collect, and use one of these to mash/juice:
nonamesieve.jpg

I highly recommend boiling down your extra juice to make Pomegranate Molasses and freeze the concentrate for later cooking use (Pomegranate Chicken/Game Hens, Pomegranate Vinaigrette, etc.)

I was thinking what DannyD says.

I was also thinking along the lines of a lambic. Good for raspberries and other fruit HAS to be good for pomegranate, no?

Jonathan

Check out Schmaltz Brewing...they make a beer called Origin, which is a pomegranate ale. I had it once, and thought it was pretty good. They even have the recipe on their website...it's an XLS file, and it's for 500 gallons :cross:, so you'll have to scale it down!

I brewed several wheats with pomegranate but I used the 100% juice from the store and added after fermentation and came out great! I do a pineapple with fresh pineapples and use a juicer! They both come out great!

GL on getting around those seeds!

Something you have to keep in mind when dealing with pomegranates (and cherries as well) in brewing is to make sure not to make the fruit flavor too overpowering (which is very easy to do). These two fruits in particular, when too much flavor is added to the beer, will result in something that tastes like carbonated cough syrup.

Back