Polycarbonate Tubing Broke

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew hoperator

Reaction score
I was using a polycarbonate tube as a sight glass on my keggle and I woke up this morning and it was broken into several little pieces. I was soaking the keg with some oxy clean and forgot to empty it last night. I can't think of any reason why this would cause it to break. Can anyone shed some light? :confused:
Also, no one touch the keg or the sight tube, which was my first tought.

s_garden-gnome.jpg

I don't know how oxyclean reacts with polycarbonate but I can tell you that one time I accidentally sprayed contact cleaner on a polycarbonate air bowl and it cracked into a bunch of pieces.

I don't know how oxyclean reacts with polycarbonate but I can tell you that one time I accidentally sprayed contact cleaner on a polycarbonate air bowl and it cracked into a bunch of pieces.

I was thinking the same thing, but figured people around here have used polycarb with oxy before. That must of been why. Either that or the gnome theory.

are you sure no one touched it? kids, pets, stray animals, etc? I can't think that oxyclean would shatter polycarb.

You might have snagged it without even knowing while you were cleaning. I was also thinking that it possibly got stressed by a rapid hot to cold cycle. Polycarb is some tough stuff though, I mean it's also known as bulletproof glass.

I have had the same experience with oxyclean. If you clean for no more than 20 minutes and wash completely it seems to have little effect, however over time the polycarbonate breaks down. If you leave it for more than 4 hours the polycarbonate looks as if some one shattered a safety glass window. I can't tell you why oxyclean affects polycarbonate but it does.

Back