Polarware or megapot???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balazs

Reaction score
Okay, I know there has already been a thread on this but I had to make a new one since I am about to plunk down some cash. I am trying to decide between the 15 gallon Polarware or the 15 gallon Megapot brewpot. I like the Polarware because it has welded fitting's yet I like the Megapot because it has the three layer bottom. What one should I purchase. The price between the two is not an issue. I just want the better piece of equipment. If anyone has any say so on this; PLEASE SPEAK UP!!!!! Happy Drunken FRIDAY!!!!

:mug:

This is a really tough question and a lot depends on how you plan to use the kettle. I think the Megapot with the clad bottom would be a much better choice for a mash tun if you plan to direct fire it. I prefer the Polarware welded fittings as you seem to also. So, IMO the bottom line would be pick the Megapot if you have any plans to use it as a direct fired mash tun, otherwise it's a push and I would pick the Polarware only because of the welded fittings. I will be making this exact same decision very soon. I currently have a 10 gallon Polarware that I love, but I do wish it had a clad bottom. I get around that by using a thick copper plate under it when using it for a mash tun. This vastly improved the heat distribution, but it would not be needed if I were using a Megapot.

I am making this purchase for my main brewpot. From what was said it looks like I should go with the Polarware. I am building a cooler mt so I will be using the pot for boiling wort. Thanx for the input!

I agree with Cat22... I think the need for a 3-layer bottom on boil kettles is overblown. The only time I've ever really seen it make a difference is when making tomato sauce or rice... and I don't think you'd be using it for either of those. :) I've got a really thin stainless pot, and I've never had any scorching issues with it, even with my SQ14 on full blast.

Back