PM Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INeedANewHobby

Reaction score
Couldn't decide which forum to put this into: Mods feel free!

A local guy purchased Austin Homebrew's texas bock recipe and cannot lager it, so I got it for free. The problem is, he ordered an all extract kit. Now I've brewed this kit as a partial mash before, even won a Best Of Show with it!! I am trying to decide how to brew this one....

The PM version has 2.5lbs of 2-row steeped for an hour, along with 3lbs pale LME and 1lb corn syrup...and 1.75oz MaltoFerm for color.

The all extract has 5lbs pale LME and 1 lb corn syrup and 1.75oz Maltoferm for color.

Entered as a schwarzbier, the PM won BOS.....The feedback I received from the PM version was that it needed a bit more malt aroma and flavor, a little thicker/fuller body...and a darker color.

So I'm thinking of steeping (this is all malt that I ave extra of and need to use) .5lb Marris Otter, .5lbs Carapils/Dextrine, .5lbs Caramel 60L, and about .25lbs chocolate malt. I guess I'd go ahead and use all the 6lbs of liquid they sent me and the MaltoFerm.

So what do you all think? I'm thinking this one would align itself more closely to the Munich Dunkel category perhaps...

Thanks in advance :)

I'd order up the grains you need to brew the PM version and then just save the extra 2lbs of LME (or just chuck them since you got it for free). Steeping the Marris Otter with the other specialty grains really won't do much of anything for you and PM beers are worlds better than extract (especially all extract).

Maybe some stars will help get more responses, lol!

Maybe I should brew this without the Maltoferm/Caramel60/Chocolate malts and I'll have something like a Munich Helles??

Latest posts

Back