Pluto Gun Replacement Seal & O-Rings (Rebuild Kit)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hafmpty

Reaction score
I put this here for anyone who's purchased the stainless steel version of the Pluto Gun from MoreBeer or another retailer and wants/needs to replace the seal and/or o-rings. There is (as of yet) no way to purchase a rebuild kit for these. So with the help of another MoreBeer customer we've been able to figure out a DIY Rebuild Kit. There are two o-rings & one seal that will eventually need replaced. I'll describe them & their placement along with the size of o-ring you will need for each. You can source all three on McMaster-Carr. Grainger has the first two o-rings but not the one used to replace the silicone seal.

O-Ring #1 - This is a very soft white silicone o-ring that slides onto the push rod and seats up inside the knurled, threaded end piece. I did not replace this with a white silicone o-ring. Instead I used a medium hard buna-n o-ring sized at 5.6mm ID x 10.4mm OD x 2.4mm Width. (MMC Part No. 9262K215)

O-Ring #2 - This is a buna-n o-ring that goes on the knurled, threaded end cap. This creates the seal between the actual gun & the threaded end cap. This o-ring is a medium hard buna-n o-ring sized at 9mm ID x 14mm OD x 2.5mm Width. (MMC Part No. 9262K425)

Silicone Seal - This was the most difficult item to replace. This sits at the end of the threaded rod and is what actually seals against the inside tip of the gun and opens/closes to dispense beer. It is a uniquely shaped seal that I could not for the life of me figure out a place to find a replacement. However, I was able to find an o-ring that works really well. It's not a 1-1 replacement but it seals and holds pressure (tested to 60psi). This o-ring is a medium hard buna-n o-ring sized at 3mm ID x 9mm OD x 3mm Width. (MMC Part No. 1302N495)

If anyone happens to find a better replacement for the Silicone Seal...please update! While the o-ring I found works great, it'd be nice for folks who want the exact same thing, to have that option.

Cheers!

Thanks for your effort in finding these parts and the excellent write up. My guns are still pretty new so I don't need this info yet, but it's great to have it available.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for posting this info. I also have all new stainless steel Pluto guns (3 of them) but having an issue with one already - it will hold a seal fine but after a pour, and releasing handle it doesn't seal all the way and sprays foam until I twist the back screw a little. I've adjusted the end screw in and out to different settings and that doesn't seem to be problem. Was going to take apart, clean and lube and see what that does. Any other thoughts?

Thanks for posting this info. I also have all new stainless steel Pluto guns (3 of them) but having an issue with one already - it will hold a seal fine but after a pour, and releasing handle it doesn't seal all the way and sprays foam until I twist the back screw a little. I've adjusted the end screw in and out to different settings and that doesn't seem to be problem. Was going to take apart, clean and lube and see what that does. Any other thoughts?
Working now after clean/lube/re-assemble. Makes me wonder if wasn’t put together right. Diagrams not easy to find - here’s pic of what it looked like before putting back together and working
81450DCC-86AC-46CC-B75A-0E84DE3CD6F5.jpeg

Back