plugging a hole in a glass carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivehoursfree

Reaction score
I stumbled upon a 5 gallon glass carboy. Problem is it has 2 small holes drilled into it near the bottom. They area about the diameter of a pencil. Is this salvageable? Could I shove a small stopper in each one? Fill it with silicon?

Duct tape?!?:drunk:

any idea what these were originally used for....I've seen medical carboys that had all manner of odd bits on them...was it perhaps for a racking setup?

Have you googled to see what these were...and why the had holes in them...they might not have been drilled, but molded with the holes in them....

I was trying to cover up the fact that I was the one that drilled the holes in it. I got the carboy from an old biology research lab. I wasn't into brewing at the time, but thought itd make a nice fishtank. So I drilled to holes and fed some tubing in it for the airstones. (DOH!) It's been in my moms attic for a few years. There isn't much residue in it, so I'm confident I could clean it well enough.

The money you save isn't worth the risk. Like mentioned above, the holes could have created a weak carboy. You DO NOT want to be on the recieving end of an exploding carboy. Better yet, but a Better Bottle and be done with it.:mug:

The money you save isn't worth the risk. Like mentioned above, the holes could have created a weak carboy. You DO NOT want to be on the recieving end of an exploding carboy. Better yet, but a Better Bottle and be done with it.:mug:

I agree.....

If this was labglassware, and the holes were cast in the mold, I'd say rig something up, like a racking setup..BUT since you drilled them I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with RLinNH's assesment....

Step away from the carboys for anything under fermentation....

Make a fishtank for your brewery...but don't brew in them...

I'd plug those holes with steel ball bearings.... use an 8 lb sledge hammer to set them in far enough.... swing for the fence and then go buy some better bottles.

FYI, I took a shot at fixing this. I got two nylon (plastic) bolts, matching nuts, plus 2 regular washers for the outside and 2 neoprene washers for the inside. Holds water just fine. As I said, it is used as a secondary, no there is no added pressure from heavy fermentation. Anyone think there would be problems with the plastic bolts or neoprene washers putting weird flavors?

I think you are going to spend as much fixing this by the time you ensure everything is safe, as you would to buy a new carboy.

I think they'd make an excellent point for harboring an infection.
I just have to ask... why'd you bother asking for opinions?

I call 5 days if someone starts a pool on when the carboy fails after being racked to.... :D

Anywho, good luck...

:mug:

Someone needs to calculate over/unders and side bets...We have a couple variables, infections or carboy failure. Then there's slow leak and full blown gusher out the hole. There's also infection in subsequent batches do to organic matter from this one...

I call dibs on slow leak within 24 hours, 6 days to carboy failure, and infection on third batch.

Someone needs to calculate over/unders and side bets...We have a couple variables, infections or carboy failure. Then there's slow leak and full blown gusher out the hole. There's also infection in subsequent batches do to organic matter from this one...

I call dibs on slow leak within 24 hours, 6 days to carboy failure, and infection on third batch.

Jeez Revvy, this ain't your first rodeo is it?!

I think the OP should drill more holes and lauter in it...

I call Fivehoursfree spends five hours in the ER getting stiched up after the first use.

It has been said several times already... but I don't see the point in trying to salvage it. I would hate to be sitting in the ER waiting to have my hands stitched up soaked in what could have been awesome beer.

Well, because it hasn't been taken I want dibs on infection on batch 2 and failure when dumping that same batch.

Wait wait wait. You guys are all assuming he's actually going to get wort inside of it before it breaks? I'm calling that it's in pieces the first time he tries to sanitize it. Unless he cleans it in place, the first time he tries to dump that thing while full, it's coming apart.

I say use it.

So long as you make the plugs removable so you can clean them. And also get a brush in the little holes. I would put it in a sink while liquid is in it.

But it probably will break when you bump it too hard.

Of course I have a desperate need to bootleg everything.

But because there is no way you could have gotten a washer and nut to line up to the hole inside a carboy, your honesty is suspect. I mean who has that kind of time?

But because there is no way you could have gotten a washer and nut to line up to the hole inside a carboy, your honesty is suspect. I mean who has that kind of time?

Wouldn't be all that hard to do . I do something like it when I install hitches and plows on my truck. All you need do take some thin wire thread it threw the hole and out the neck of the carboy then thread your washer and wrap the wire around bolts threads little teflon tape over it, pull the wire back out and the bolt will follow the wire . The only thing is that the bolt would turn when you put on the nut don't think I would use the impact gun on the glass carboy.

I dont think its worth the aggravation though as it would be almost impossible to sanitize properly

This is a lot of effort to 'salvage' something that's only worth $15-$20 to begin with.

If you can't swing $20 for a new carboy, I don't think brewing is in the cards...not in the near future at least.

This isn't a 'cheap' hobby.

Mix up a small batch of good, thick two-part epoxy. Scuff the outside around the holes with some sandpaper. Mix epoxy to about the consistency of bubble gum or peanut butter and jam it in there. Smooth from the inside with a long plastic stick with a smooth, round end (think really long tongue depressor). After that dries, scuff-sand and coat the entire outside bottom six or so inches with a thinner epoxy in case it does crack. Keep it in a plastic bucket while fermenting in case it leaks or explodes.

But yeah, I'd buy a new one. Turn it into a huge bong or something.

Mix up a small batch of good, thick two-part epoxy. Scuff the outside around the holes with some sandpaper. Mix epoxy to about the consistency of bubble gum or peanut butter and jam it in there. Smooth from the inside with a long plastic stick with a smooth, round end (think really long tongue depressor). After that dries, scuff-sand and coat the entire outside bottom six or so inches with a thinner epoxy in case it does crack. Keep it in a plastic bucket while fermenting in case it leaks or explodes.

But yeah, I'd buy a new one. Turn it into a huge bong or something.

Is there suck a thing as foodgrade 2 part epoxy???

Hey gang, we have a new category to bet on...poisoning!!!

Anyone notice the OP hasn't returned???

JB weld is food grade, just not clear. Would still give possible places for infection to harbor.

I agree to just toss it and buy a bucket to ferment in (if money is an issue) otherwise a better bottle (6 gal).

Now can I ask how you drill a hole in glass?

This is a lot of effort to 'salvage' something that's only worth $15-$20 to begin with.

If you can't swing $20 for a new carboy, I don't think brewing is in the cards...not in the near future at least.

You are getting carboys for that price where you are? All the LHBS's here in <NAME OF STATE DELETED DUE TO ANTI-HOMEBREWING LAWS> charge upwards of $30 for just a five gallon carboy.

You are getting carboys for that price where you are? All the LHBS's here in <NAME OF STATE DELETED DUE TO ANTI-HOMEBREWING LAWS> charge upwards of $30 for just a five gallon carboy.

And yet, if you were really concerned you'd delete your location out of your profile. :D

Ok, apparently I'm getting a lot of crap over here. Let me clear things up.
I tied a long peice of dental floss to the bolt, with the washer on it. I dropped the floss into the main hole, then hooked it through the smaller drilled holes with a bike wheel spoke. then pulled the bolt through. It's really not all that hard. There are no cracks in the carboy. I drilled it with a glass drill bit. It has held 2 batches with no leaks, no cracks. I am a little worried about sanitizing it though, since it is currently empty, waiting for another batch. I'll probably undo the bolts and clean it before the next batch goes it. It has also held up well even after I have moved it up and downstairs several times ( full). Sorry if anyone is disappointed that nothing dramatic has happened.

Back