Pliny the elder clone and dextrose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
In the "150 Classic Clone Recipes" in the best of brew your own magazine, the ingredient list for Pliny the Elder calls for 1.0 lb of dextrose (corn sugar). This is listed right under the grains and right before the hops. Then, it lists 0.75 cups of corn sugar (for priming). When is the first 1.0 lb used in the brewing process?

Thanks!

Add the sugar during the boiling process. I usually add with about 15 minutes to go but if you add it in the beginning it won't matter. Just make sure you don't let it burn on the bottom of your kettle before it desolves in the wort.

During the boil. Most people add it in the last 15 min of the boil or at flameout as to not scorched the sugar. Hope that helps.

Cheers!

One Pliney clone recipe I used, PDF from Vinnie, states to add it at Pre-boil.

I add my dextrose post-boil, but as others have said, you can add it during the boil or at flameout.

Good question OP. I was trying to find a recipe and I think I saw the one you're referring to and didn't understand when to add the dextrose.

Corn sugar is used in big IIPAs to help dry them out and let the hop character shine.

Use it in the last 15min of the boil.
Although i find it interesting someone mentioned a PDF from vinnie about pre-boil additions.

Back