Pliny clone blunder by a noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtfang

Reaction score
So while I was adding the final hop pellets and adding my .75 lbs of sugar, I stirred the wort while in the kettle. I think I shouldn't have done this.
I than transferred the wort into primary and it was a freakin pain. I seemingly mixed the trub/sludge into the wort mixture. It was soooo hard to strain it and the final wort into my primary was pretty murky with about 1 gallon shy of what I was supposed to get. My og was correct 1.072. Will this effect my final outcome?

Welcome to the wonderful world of brewing double ipas with massive amounts of hop sludge and trub. I would have gently stirred the sugar in as well. The trub and most hops will drop out and will be left behind in the next step. You did fine now rdwhahb.

Yeah, you'll end up with less.

The trub will all settle out by the end of fermentation.

I take the lazy man's route and dump the entire contents of the kettle into the fermenter without any filtration. It makes a pretty thick layer of goo on the bottom of the fermenter.

The sludge and remaining solids will settle out after fermentation stops. If you hit your target OG I don't see why you should have any problems. what was your batch size?

So while I was adding the final hop pellets and adding my .75 lbs of sugar, I stirred the wort while in the kettle. I think I shouldn't have done this.
I than transferred the wort into primary and it was a freakin pain. I seemingly mixed the trub/sludge into the wort mixture. It was soooo hard to strain it and the final wort into my primary was pretty murky with about 1 gallon shy of what I was supposed to get. My og was correct 1.072. Will this effect my final outcome?

You will be fine. All the trub will settle to the bottom. Lots of people just dump and ferment. I wouldn;t worry about straining, onling going to cause a headache.

It is hard to get the wort into the primary without a huge funnel. Look on the home brew websites and get one, it will make life easier. As far as the murky wort, I have a questions

Did you hit your temps during to boil of your wort?

Did the water get to a rolling boil while steeping your grain? That's a no no!

Some ppl will say "making beer should be fun so don't read too far into it" I say BS. You are creating beer which is a technical process. The beer kits have made it so that any one can do it, but keep in mind that this is chemistry. The equipment and measuring tools are half the game.

This is strictly my opinion and many will disagree...

Last note: patience is a huge part of the process. Anybody can make "beer" but only the diligent and patient make good beer.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Rmart. Yeah I would imagine a huge funnel would work great, but what about straining? Guess I would need a bigger strainer? And yes I followed the temperatures to a T. I let the grains steep till 170°, removed and discarded the grain, And I did not have a rolling boil while the grain was in the kettle. I also agree for the limited amount of time that I have been doing this, that you do have to look into it and read the directions and follow them precisely.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have a large fine mesh bag that I pour through. That bag rests in a funnel that also has a built in strainer. I strain to make yeast harvest easier.

You don't worry about straining? You just dump your wort straight from the kettle into your primary?

It us not law to strain you wort, but if you feel you have to:

Look for the funnel below on Amazon, it's great and comes with a strainer screen.

"Hopkins FloTools 10705 Giant Funnel"

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Yep, that's what I do... Ever since my accident with the clogged funnel strainer.

Rmart. Yeah I would imagine a huge funnel would work great, but what about straining? Guess I would need a bigger strainer? And yes I followed the temperatures to a T. I let the grains steep till 170°, removed and discarded the grain, And I did not have a rolling boil while the grain was in the kettle. I also agree for the limited amount of time that I have been doing this, that you do have to look into it and read the directions and follow them precisely.

From this post I'm gonna assume you did an extract batch with steeping grains? If this is the case fyi the steeping grains are not adding fermentable sugars. They are used to contribute to mouthfeel, flavor, or color.

From your post it seems your asking why you have a low og.... although if my memory is correct 1.072 og is about where you wanna be for a elder clone.

Yes it was an extract batch with hop pellets, a lot of hop pellets, and grains to steep. My issue was that I stirred the trub at the bottom of my wort while I was adding the final hop pellets and my sugar. when I transferred it to my primary, It was really cloudy and murky and I had about 1 to 1 1/2 gallons less then I should have had. My OG was right on point, however I was wondering if that is a cause for concern while in the primary And my final product.

Yes it was an extract batch with hop pellets, a lot of hop pellets, and grains to steep. My issue was that I stirred the trub at the bottom of my wort while I was adding the final hop pellets and my sugar. when I transferred it to my primary, It was really cloudy and murky and I had about 1 to 1 1/2 gallons less then I should have had. My OG was right on point, however I was wondering if that is a cause for concern while in the primary And my final product.

The gallon to gallon and a half less than expected is puzzling. The amount of extract should have been the amount needed to hit OG with the expected water volume. I might have thought you boiled off more than expected but that should have raised the OG.

You mention a hard time transferring and there was a reference to getting a funnel. Did you perhaps spill enough to lower your volume that much?

The only other thing I can think of is not accounting for grain absorption on the steeped grain. But if you used the instruction volumes that should have been accounted for. All I can recommend is get in the habit of taking lots of notes. If you take mash volumes, sparge volumes (realized those don't apply in this case), pre-boil volumes, post boil volumes, and fermentor volumes it is fairly easy to find where you can improve your process.

Back