Please tell me I'm not the first

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorRobert

Reaction score
So i'm a new brewer, first two batches are just about now ready to drink, been bottled for a couple weeks. I go to visit my buddy, and I bring my IPA, and my wheat.

The ipa was good, but the wheat? tasted like apple cider. The wort tasted so good I didnt know what happened. There was little yeast in the bottle, no flavor, just fizzy apple stuff.

So a few days go by, and I go to check to see if it's getting any better, I thought it was just young. Turns out I forgot I made 2 gallons of apfelwein! If I knew it was cider I might have enjoyed it!

Turns out, my wheat was absolutely delicious!!!! It's as good as anything you'd find in a store I can't believe it. Best part is SWMBO was even impressed, which means, more funds for this drinking hobby with a brewing problem.

Probably the first to confuse the two styles when you are the brewer:D

I use masking tape and write a label on all primaries and over all bottle caps. I put the date and what it is. Haven't mixed anything up yet...

Well i found it hard to believe for the wort to taste good, and for it too be so appley. But those Mr. Beer kits I made all tasted like apples. So I thought, maybe it's just young, hopefully. But believe me, I was confused. Never thought it was actually my beer, but it was my bottle, and I didnt know what else it could be.

I cant believe I forgot the apfelwein. Never crossed my mind when I grabbed the bottles.

LOL! good one.

I took some assorted bottles to a family camping trip and had two bottles that were marked with "?". They had nothing on them, so I put a "?" and took them along.

Poured one and it was slightly spritzy and smelled appley. First thought was a pale ale that had gone bad, and here I am trying to figure out what would do this. Then it hits me. Apfelwein.

So I had bottled some of my apfelwein before pitching the keg (I just don't care for it very much) and stashed the bottles on the shelf to see what they would taste like down the road. Still not good. I guess I'm a beer guy.

No worries. I have a six pack of mystery beer sitting on my conditioning table. Just forgot to label my caps, and now I have no idea what they are.

I have a six pack of mystery beer sitting on my conditioning table. Just forgot to label my caps, and now I have no idea what they are.
Might be this. :D

dharmabeerou6.jpg

Barley-Flavored Drink

haha, i purposely started to leave 2 unlabeled bottles out of every batch. They all get mixed up and I have no clue what they are. This is so that my friends and I can have a mystery beer night.

A couple weeks ago I was offered a beer from the fridge and I asked for the Coffee Stout, I got handed a bottle and took a swig without looking closely, I thought Wow this is so clean and refreshing! .... oh, its a pale ale :)

Back