Please recommend a bin for icing corny kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choosybeggar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Planning to dispense 3 corny kegs through a steel plate jockey box. The beer will be fully carbonated and 68F. The owner of the jockey box recommends icing the kegs to reduce beer temp prior to serving. Looking for suggestion of what type of bin/tub to ice down 3 corny kegs at once.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I would recommend three small trash bins. Plastic or metal. Can be wrapped in blankets to insulate.
Three small ones can be put to more uses afterwards better than one large one. Especially if you have only one keg to chill later on.

I would recommend three small trash bins. Plastic or metal. Can be wrapped in blankets to insulate.
Three small ones can be put to more uses afterwards better than one large one. Especially if you have only one keg to chill later on.

Thanks. Great suggestion.

Is this for a one day or evening event? And they're prechilled right? if so you don't need much at all to keep them cold. Besides, the whole purpose of the jockey box is to chill the beer as its dispensed to the tap. If you're going to ice the kegs, you can skip the jockey box and use cobra taps. If you're using a jockey box, just wrap the kegs in a couple towels. If it's going to be 90°F+ outside, then maybe do more. The most I'd recommend is a 5-6.5 gal bucket for each carboy, filled with ice and a towel in top. Easy to haul nesting buckets as well.

Is this for a one day or evening event? And they're prechilled right? if so you don't need much at all to keep them cold. Besides, the whole purpose of the jockey box is to chill the beer as its dispensed to the tap. If you're going to ice the kegs, you can skip the jockey box and use cobra taps. If you're using a jockey box, just wrap the kegs in a couple towels. If it's going to be 90°F+ outside, then maybe do more. The most I'd recommend is a 5-6.5 gal bucket for each carboy, filled with ice and a towel in top. Easy to haul nesting buckets as well.

The kegs were carbed @ 45F but will be @ 68F prior to the party. Planning to treat them to an ice bath overnight to cool them a bit.

Back