Please Mead Yeast Help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerMikey

Reaction score
Hi there,
Me, another newbie
Question: What yeast strain is the best of all of the following?

EC-1118
K1-V1116
71B-1122
ICV-D47
RC 212
QA-23

If anyone has some tips or knows of a website that reviews these for Mead making it would be great. I really don't know where to start with choosing a Yeast to use.

Out of your list, KIV1116. However, Wyeast 1388 is faster.
See the Bray's One Month Mead post.
Its also 6 times the price, liquid so doesn't have the storage/keeping ability of dry yeast, not available as widely...

Plus speed isn't everything.......

Perhaps the OP should work out what recipe to use first then worry about yeasts........

Price and availability are a major disadvantage of Wyeast 1388. If you can get it, it is very speedy. However, I think what fatbloke is alluding to is that different yeast have different flavor profiles that suit different types of meads. So, a recipe first, then a yeast that fits the recipe is a better plan.

Hi there,
Me, another newbie
Question: What yeast strain is the best of all of the following?

EC-1118
K1-V1116
71B-1122
ICV-D47
RC 212
QA-23

If anyone has some tips or knows of a website that reviews these for Mead making it would be great. I really don't know where to start with choosing a Yeast to use.

Depends on your recipe. Choose a yeast like you would choose a tool. Different strains have different characteristics, some of which are great for one style, but not so great for others.

Here's a chart over at gotmead.com:
http://www.gotmead.com/?option=com_content&task=view&id=625&Itemid=42

Here's a list on Jack Keller's site:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/strains.asp

There is no "best all around yeast," The best yeast is the one that is going to give you the results you want, the trick is knowing which one to use in order to get those results. What recipe are you using?
Regards, GF.

Back