Please help with Hop selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Green

Reaction score
Hi All,

I would really appreciate some ideas on my next recipe.

I currently have a pale ale about to be bottled. That was made with 2 row, crystal 40, carapils, Sorachi, Citra and Cascade and looks great.

I now have enough left over grain to make a 3 gallon batch using the same grain but would appreciate some advice on hops.

I have a selection of the below (I won’t be able to order more)

Sorachi

Citra

Cascase

Centenial

Chinook

Hersbrucker

Tettnanger

Any style that the grain permits but something a little different to the Citra, Cascade I currently have. I guess nothing too heavy.

(BTW will be only 3rd AG brew)

Appreciate any ideas, thanks

What yeast are you using? Are you willing to try different yeasts? What beer styles do you like?
I ask this because there are dozens of great beers you could make with those hops and 2 row + crystal and carapils with different yeasts. Don't discount the impact of changing the yeast!

my bad, totally forgot to say i have White Labs WLP051 California Ale V Yeast that i need to use.

I only really know IPA APA, dont like anything too heavy, prefer fruity but i have a very fruity one on the go now. Happy to try other styles as there are lots of different styles i have read here that i have never tasted before. One thing, i dont likely overly dark beers which is good as i only have around 8oz of crystal.

My first choice for my tastes would be to use hersbrucker and/or tettnanger and a Belgian yeast.

With your info, I'd suggest all Centennial (or maybe a Centennial/Cascade blend) for something citrusy and slightly floral.

You could go old-school hopping with Chinook for bittering and Centennial for finish/dry-hop. Probably would taste similar to Bell's Two-Hearted.

Straight-up Cascade, in my opinion - to about 30 or 31 IBUs; a little (but not too much...maybe 5 or 7%) Crystal 40 might make it interesting.

Back