Please help find/build hard water for brewing IPA's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thehopguy

Reaction score
I'll start off by saying I know not a thing about water chemistry or the terms or anything. And going through these threads trying to learn is frustrating me and making my head hurt.

I live in the La Mesa area of San Diego, I'm pretty sure im part of the Helix Water District but cannot find a water quality report for it.

I am willing to buy bottled water from the store and add things to it to make it suitable for a hoppy IPA or if anyone knows or can find a water report for my area that will work too. Not sure if I need to filter, add campden tablets, add other stuff to make it hard etc.

My questions probably dont even make sense, I apologize, because I don't really know what I'm talking about. I need a water chemistry book for dummies.

My head hurts, help me please. :(

Looking at that report, it seems that the water may already be well suited to brewing pale ales and IPAs. The chloride is in the 80's and the sulfate is somewhere less than 200 ppm. The calcium is in the 60's and magnesium is in the 20's.

The only thing of concern is the alkalinity. That might need a touch of acid or acid malt to help drop the mash into the preferred pH range. The sulfate concentration can certainly go up if that is your preference. I'd suggest keeping it below 350 ppm under most conditions. Gypsum is the way to boost the sulfate.

Don't add any more chloride to this water since it will clash with the sulfate. This tap water is not going to be well suited to malty styles due to the high sulfate. Dilution would be a good way to cut the sulfate and allow you to add calcium chloride to accentuate maltiness. The good thing is that is not the goal for an IPA.

I suggest looking over Bru'n Water to help you decide what to do with the local water to fit your brewing needs.

Thanks for looking into it and the help. Should I filter the water first? And how much gypsum should I add.

Back