Please help determine category for competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppy2bmerry

My hop trellis brings the boys to the yard.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a mixed fermentation with fruit. From what I get from the guidelines it should be entered in the fruit beer category. Is that right judges? The fruit component is an aroma, a hue, and slightly perceptible flavor (to my untrained palate) after this aged for a little over a year.

All helpful comments are appreciated, thanks.

A few options depending on character.

-Would it fit as a Fruit Lambic? Enter as Fruit Lambic

-If it's closer to another traditional/established sour (ie one with guidelines already existing), plus fruit (say Flanders Red or Oud Bruin with cherries)? Enter as Fruit Beer

-If it's a mixed ferm on its own with no established base style plus fruit, then enter as Wild Specialty.

And remember, as always, enter according to how it's perceived, not what you did or what you intended.

Thank you for the replies, the base style was Belgian Abbey ale, with the fruit addition, then Brett bruxellensis. The sample I tasted was not extremely tart and it was also not carbed when I tasted it. I suppose carbonation will give it some bite.

I’m pretty sure you will have to list the base beer, fruit, yeast and bacteria. Usually you will have limited space to do this in so you may have to abbreviate.

For your base beer if it matches a BJCP style use the category number.

If you say Abbey Ale as a judge I interpret that to be a Belgium Blonde like Leffe Blonde category 25A when you may interpret Abbey Ale to be a Tripel category 26C.

Also, as mentioned before enter based on what you taste, smell. So if you brewed a recipe for a Tripel but it seems more like a golden strong ale then say the base beer is a golden strong.

Back