please help; belgian wit cooling right now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethangray19

Reaction score
This is a dumb question probably, but I just brewed a belgian wit with corriander and orange peel. when i transfer to the primary should i strain out the orange peel and corriander seeds OR toss them in to the primary to be there while fermentation occurs??????

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!:drunk:

How much did you add. Depends on that. The orange peel will be fine in there but not sure about the coriander.

I'd think that if you ground the coriander finely enough, it would be hard to strain with anything less fine than a tea strainer, which just doesn't seem to be practical. Leave 'er in there - some people add them to secondary anyway.

I know that this is too late, but hopefully it helps anyone searching for this. Do NOT leave coriander in the fermenter. The orange peel would be fine, but under no circumstances should the coriander go in the fermenter. I had the STRONGEST coriander flavor in my Blue Moon clone kit after doing just that. It also clogged up my autosiphon (the orange peel helped too) and I had to try restarting it several times, and mixed up all the sediment in the bottom of the fermenter. It was an extreme nightmare and even after aging, it's undrinkable, and the only thing I have come up with to use it for is deglazing the pot for chili or making beer brats.

thanks for the info. i strained the wort but tried to get some orange peel in the primary;
I know i did not get much but did also get some corriander in the primary; (very little). should i rack to secondry ASA feremtation is done

My wit is in primary right now. It tastes amazing already and I did not leave the corriander in the wort. Actually, I threw in a muslin bag of bitter orange and corriander at 1 minute to flameout and left it in until I racked to primary.

Maybe taste it after fermentation is done. If you can taste the coriander at all, move it. If not, you're probably safe. :)

Latest posts

Back