Please Critique my proposed process for kegging and dry hopping this IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyedoctodd

Reaction score
Hi all,
I brewed a ~70 IBU Citra and Galaxy IPA at 1.066 OG and it finished out about 5 days ago at 1.014, so I'm ready to keg it. I typically cold crash my beers in the conical, but wondering if I need to for this NEIPA style that haze is normal with. I have a fitting for the conical such that I can push CO2 into the fermenter. If I cold crash, I'm thinking of keeping 2-3 PSI of CO2 on the beer so that I don't get any "suck back" of air into the fermenter with the temperature drop. The fermenter holds up to 5PSI before the pressure relief valve opens.

I will be dry hopping in the kegs with 4oz each keg of whole leaf Citra in hop socks. I'm going to drop those in, then purge the kegs with CO2. I connect the fermenter outlet to a QD on the liquid out side of the keg and fill from the bottom up so any air that sneaks in is pushed up and away from the beer. Other than letting out the gas in the keg being displaced by beer, it is a totally closed system. Normally I add gelatin after kegging through the lid, but because of the style I think I will skip that step.

Can anyone think of anything glaringly "wrong" or anticipate any problems with this process? Looking forward to my first IPA in a while. This was done with Wyeast 1318 which I believe is the Hill Farmstead strain.

Thanks for any input!

Back