Playing with acid blends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RachmaelBenApplebaum

Reaction score
I know it's sold in a pre-blended form, typically 50% Malic, 40% citric, and 10% tartaric, but has anyone tooled around with making their own blends according to personal preference? I'm not a huge fan of large quantities of malic acid in mead and want to play around with it. I plan on doing some bench trials before making the final decision but has anyone else had any good luck changing the ratios?

Actually, acid blend used to be 50:40:10 tartaric:malic:citric acid. It was much better then and what I still use.
So what changed?

Citric acid became cheap, so companies started adding a higher percentage of the cheap stuff while charging the same price....

I just don't care for a lot of citic acid. It starts to taste like cheap candy.

Better brewing through science!

If it's a Mel, cyser, etc, I just match the acid.addition to the majority acid of the fruit used (in small quantity, too taste).

For traditionals, I've found I like the suggestion from Ashton and Duncan's book "Making Mead". A mix of 2 parts malic, to 1 part tartaric.

Citric seems to.give too much of a citrus/lemony sort of hint, even in small quantities to my taste.......

Back