Plate Chiller: SWMBO is done with the "1 more thing..."

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizzyPants

Reaction score
So, I am just about done building my brewery in our condo. 15 gallon pot, along with an 8 and 5 gallon pot. A kegerator and cornies.

Now I am looking for a plate chiller.

dudadiesel.com seems to be the cheapest. Anyone with experience?

Any experience in the 30 or 40 plate chiller? I can run it directly off my kitchen faucet and hopefully save some time too.

Thanks,

~Diz

The idea behind good efficiency with a plate chiller is that your chill water is running fast. If you 'run it out of your faucet' you might not be getting the flow you need.

Measure your chill water GPM and call dudadiesel. They will tell you the size plate chiller you'll need to gravity drain your wort at pitching temp with the temp and GPM of chill water you have.

Me, I have the 30 Small and am doing a recirculating chill, not gravity drain. Both my wort and my chill water are around 5 GPM and based on my calculations (haven't used it yet) I will get 15 gals from 212 to 68 in around 8 mins with the recirculation.

I was going to get the Small 40 but it's like only 10% more efficient than the 30 and it was out of stock with the mounting studs. The longer (the Medium ones) chillers are much more efficient. The Medium 20 is better than the Small 40 for instance.

Back