Plate chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Assoc

Reaction score
I found this listed on craigslist for $80.00 advertised as never used and new in the box.
Manufacturer:
Bell Gossett
Copper, ASTM 316L Stainless Steel
Brazed Plate
30 Plates, 0.0076 Gal/Chnl
3/4" MNPT
Height 8.2"
Length 2.83"
Width 3.18"

Will this work for a wort chiller or should I look elsewhere.

Thanks Matt

I should have posted this in Equipment/Sanitation. Please relocate if appropriate.
Matt

I should have posted this in Equipment/Sanitation. Please relocate if appropriate.
Matt

It's $12 cheaper than a 30plate Duda Diesel on Amazon and I'm not sure if it's food grade or not. If you can find out the model number, you can check with Bell Gossett and find out.

Also, it says that it's 3/4" MNPT. I assume that is for both sides. The Duda Diesel that is recomended for brewers is 3/4 for the water connections and 1/2 for the beer side. Once you start messing with converters, you'll start eating into that $12.

According to Bell Gossetts website the SS plate chillers are food grade. That being said, I'm going to order a Duda instead due to the added expense of adding reducers.
Thanks for the suggestion,
Matt

You could always try and get him to drop the price a little, but if he doesn't budge I'd rather deal with a known company than a stranger on craigslist.

To be honest I'm not worried so much about the price as I am not knowing the company's reputation.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Depending on your batch size I would recommend sizing up to a longer chiller. It is the length that really helps with chilling the wort faster. It is a small expense for a much faster chiller.

I have that same B3-12A 30-plate Duda chiller, alas an older model without the mounting studs. I can recommend it. For 5-6 gallons the 30 plates are fine. If you really want faster times or do larger volumes, get a 40 or 60 plate model, or one with larger (longer) plates, as suggested above.

Just make sure to buy the correct version (connector layout) for your system.
At the time, I purchased the version with the 4 male 1/2" NPT stubs as that was going to work best for my setup, I don't use a garden hose. Later I simply replaced the 4 (temporary) 1/2" brass FNPT/barb fittings with 4 male 1/2" camlocks (type-A) and never looked back.

The camlocks are the key to quick access, cleaning, and storage.

Thanks for the suggestions, based on the information provided I ordered a Duda B3-23A 30 plate chiller.
Matt

Back