Plate chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dregus

Reaction score
I have used a plate chiller for the last two batches that I brewed. I used to use an immersion copper chiller and I was used to seeing the cold break drop out of the wort before I transferred to the fermenters. Where does the cold break go when using a plate chiller? Does it go into the fermenter as I suspect?

I a using the plate chiller between my brew kettle and the fermenting bucket. Is this the rights procedure? Should I be recirculating it first? If so do I recirculate directly back into the brew kettle or into a secondary vessel?

Thanks

And yes, the cold break will go into your fermentor if you use a single pass with a plate chiller.

I recirculate in two ways, always back to the boil kettle. First, I recirc with low flow and no cooling water before the boil is done to sanitize the chiller. Then when the boil is done, I recirc for a bit until I get the temps roughly close / stable, then start transfering directly to the fermentor.

Back