Plate chiller clogged

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TastyAdventure

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch with my chiller, it was a Flanders Red 10 gal batch with 1/2 oz of hops and I didn't have any problems .
Then I brewed a 4 gallon batch with only 1 oz of hops and it. Looked up on me with one gallon left in the kettle!
What the hell?
How do I avoid this??

Use a hop spider, hop bags, or whirlpool and drain from the side, I do the whirlpool with no issues, however I user a cfc

I started using a CFC as well. Previously I used a SS hop basket with ok results but I was always worried about sanitation and clogging. Prior to using the hop basket I did have a clog which was a pain.

I started using a CFC as well. Previously I used a SS hop basket with ok results but I was always worried about sanitation and clogging. Prior to using the hop basket I did have a clog which was a pain.

I can comment here and say Ive been using a plate chiller with a hop spider for 4 years and no signs of clogging whatsoever... in fact I have never even had enough debris ever come out of my plat chiller while cleaning to fill up a 1/4 teaspoon. So id say the spider combined with the fact that I recirculate my mash so the wort is clear and use a small 10" piece of braided stainless on my diptube to catch anything that still gets into my boil kettle works quite well... I do not whirlpool.
I use tiny 24v dc pumps exclusively which would clog easily if I didnt have a good way to filter and only pump liquid with them and it works out well for all aspects of my brewing including harvesting yeast with very little trub from my conicals.

Back