Plate Chiller and pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

619Brewer

Reaction score
So I'm contemplating using a plate chiller and a pump. Every time I think of the time I'm sitting there waiting for my wort to cool using my immersion chiller I think I should pull the trigger and buy a pump/plate chiller to get it over with. Even when I use double immersion chiller (one in ice water and the other in the wort) it seems to take forever.

I'm not naive to the fact that plate chillers have their own set of issues, but it just seems to be so much more efficient in cooling the wort.

Anyone have any tips or advice for me? Thanks.

Maybe just start off with the pump to recirculate the wort in the kettle and keep the immersion chiller . You will ge amazed how much of a difference it makes having the wort constantly moving. It could shave 15-20 minutes off of your brew day!

I have a blichmann brewmometer and I love it! I could never bring myself to buy one so I asked my wife to get me one for Christmas. It takes some getting used to with controlling the water and wort flow but the 210 degree wort goes in one side and comes out 60 degrees one the other so it's pretty cool!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Home Brew mobile app

I've been using a plate chiller since day 1 and while it has excellent performance, the m'th'r'f'ck'r clogs way easily.

If i had to do it again i'd do a convoluted counter flow chiller instead.

Recirculating is awesome and allows the cold break to settle in the kettle. You also can hit the exact temp you need before you rack it out.

Back