Plastic vs Metal Conical ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

732Brewer

Reaction score
Besides the extremely nice metal conical's, compared to the plastic, is there a reason to go metal over durability? What are your thoughts? I am currently using carboys but being able to remove yeast, take samples, remove final product easier, etc, makes it a nobrainer that the conical is the way to go (hence me creating this post).

I too would like to hear what others have to say that have experience with this.

You've got the debate over safety of plastic (stainless is passive and sterile when handled correctly). You can also pressurize stainless better and there's less of a chance of bugs permeating the metal.

I don't trust that I can ever keep plastic clean enough without scratching it.

I realize that the lure of a conical is immense but don't get one until you've solved the temp control issue. You can't just have these things sitting in the middle of a room - it needs a temp controlled cabinet, whether that's something you build or buy. Harvesting yeast is great, but if the beer they came from is terrible then you haven't gained anything.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/choosing-conical-fermenter-368724/

Stainless is bulletproof, but expensive. HDPE can scratch. These are two things that most have mentioned in this thread and others. I am about to buy a stout tanks 7 gal conical and it is 35" high, or the shorty which is 25". Some have procured a full size single door fridge or beverage cooler for temp control.

Back