Plastic or Glass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildWingsBrewery

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the whole home brewing thing, but I'm absolutely in love with it already! :D I've got a Mr. Beer American Classic Light currently in its eighth day of fermenting and I can't wait to bottle it in a couple more weeks. I've got a couple questions on bottling, though.

1. Where does everyone stand on the whole plastic vs glass thing?

2. Which of the two would be best for a Chocolate Cherry Stout that may be stored for months, a year or more?

The choco/cherry is my next project. Mr. Beer St. Paddy's Irish Stout recipe w/ .5 cup unsweetened cocoa and a few cans of cherries added. Any help is greatly appreciated, maybe tips on the Stout, too?

Cheers,

Dakota :mug:

I used PET bottles for one brew a long time ago, and never had any issues. With that said... I'll never do it again. Call me pretentious, but it just feels cheap. I prefer the solid weight and feel of a glass bottle.

I don't think there's any technical reason to not use plastic for short term storage. Glass is impermeable to oxygen, so if you're going to age a beer, use glass bottles, and avoid the twist-off variety. For a beer that you want to drink right away (Hefe, IPA, etc), PET bottles should be fine. They hold soda, which typically has a much higher bottling pressure than beer.

I'm definitely a glass fan, not sure why anyone would bottle in plastic (unless you're just getting your feet wet and re-purposing some soda bottles for your first few brews).

Oh the glass versus plastic debate. Your going to hear opinions either way. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I prefer to ferment in glass. If your going to leave a beer in a container for any major length of time, say more than two months (although I'm not sure why you would), then glass is a must.

Both work but I went from buckets to PET carboys. I didn't think I could handle 5 gallons of beer and a glass carboy safely. That was long before I saw what glass carboys could do to people if broke.

Both work but I went from buckets to PET carboys. I didn't think I could handle 5 gallons of beer and a glass carboy safely. That was long before I saw what glass carboys could do to people if broke.

I've used Better Bottles exclusively since I started brewing several years ago. They're light weight, easy to clean, & much safer to handle. Just take a look at the thread(s) on the injuries from broken glass carboys. Especially, given some of the crappy glass carboys coming out of China these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Since I got my Better Bottle for secondary I have not used my glass secondary that came with my kit. Plastic is just lighter and safer. However, I never had problems with either and will be using my glass again this fall when I have several beers racked at the same time.

Why not use both?

Short term, plastic lets you know you're carbonating properly. Also easy to reuse.

Glass for 'giveaways' (You do know you are required to give out samples) and longer storage.

I bottle in reclosable plastic bottles, aluminum cans and pry off amber bottles.

'da Kid

If you wanna be 'merican and not let 55 lbs of weight scerr you off you should rock the glass carboy.

For bottlin', when you show up to a party with your home brew you may also want to feel specially 'merican and pop a top off a glass bottle, too.

Plus, somethin' manly about the feeling of pressin' a bottle cap down on that first glass bottle on bottlin' day! Man o' man.

I prefer to use glass. That being said I love plastic bottles because I can smuggle them into places like Red Rocks and have my beer not nine dollar beer night.

If you wanna be 'merican and not let 55 lbs of weight scerr you off you should rock the glass carboy.

For bottlin', when you show up to a party with your home brew you may also want to feel specially 'merican and pop a top off a glass bottle, too.

Plus, somethin' manly about the feeling of pressin' a bottle cap down on that first glass bottle on bottlin' day! Man o' man.

God damn you make me feel like today's the fourth o' July!

Sent from myPhone

I bottle in amber PET bottles. They're light, unbreakable, extremely easy to cap and you can always tell when they're carbonated. I don't leave my beer sitting around long enough to worry about the permeability issue.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I think I'll stick with plastic until I get the recipes I like down pat. Once that happens, I'll use glass for my signature brews. Thinking a pale ale, stout and Blue Moon-esque whitbeer.

Thanks again!

Back