Plastic or glass carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbird

Reaction score
I was thinking about buying a carboy. I don't know what one to get. Should I just fork out the money for a glass one or is plastic ok? What about if I just used a 5gal water cooler jug or are those to small?

Definitely avoid a 5gal jug, especially as a primary if you're doing 5 gallon batches. You'd lose a ton to blowoff.

As far as glass or plastic bottles, its another one of those "Which is better" arguments with no real winner. Boils down to preference for the most part.

If you are going to use it as a fermenter get a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. You will need head space. I'd say get a bucket. Personally I have 2 5 gallon carboys that see no action. I can only see using them for racking over fruit if I ever get around to making a fruit beer.

Glass all the way. Plastic tends to hold in past beer flavors more then glass. I would suggest getting a carrying cradle for it as well.

It doesn't really matter glass or plastic, they both work. I've NEVER had any issues with holding "past beer flavors" in any plastic I've ever used, be it a bucket or a better bottle, or even a water jug.

It's one of those things that are purely a matter of preference and NOTHING else.

IF I was dead set on a carboy, I would buy glass. However IF I was starting over I would just buy buckets for primary. easier to handle...clean...move...add ingredients...take samples...and store when empty.

They all have pluses and minuses. I have a bunch of glass carboys, but realy find I go for my plastic buckets first, it is easier to deal with.

They definitely all have pluses and minuses, but if I were starting over, I would go with just plain old buckets. I wanted a carboy, but didn't like the breakability of glass (I am a damn klutz) so I got better bottles. Now I just got my first bucket and it is heavenly- I greatly prefer it over the old pretty better bottles.

Since I'm more experienced, I don't have to sit around and stare at my beer fermenting for hours on end, so I don't care that I can't see the beer. The buckets are stackable, and have huge lids so that you can just reach in and grab your hop bag (or hydrometer, or whatever) rather than having to fish it out with tiny tongs (or my preferred method- chopstix). I don't worry about scratches because a hot oxyclean soak will get everything off every time- I've never scrubbed a bucket or my better bottles.

Just my $0.02, as Revvy says, this is ALL about preference.

I like better bottles. I have kids around and don't want to risk broken glass. I also like to watch my fermentation, but again its personal preference. For me the wider mouth is a plus over glass carboys since I dry hop in a paint strainer bag when I have a small amount of hops. My one gripe with better bottles is that when it was engineered they should have gone straight to 7 gallon and skipped 6 gallon.

So does heat pass through the plastic of a bucket or a better bottle well enough that a Fermwrap or similar will warm reasonably quickly and/or a fridge will cool quickly?

Also, does anyone have a decent idea how the better bottles compare to something like the Morebeer plastic carboys (such as: Plastic Carboy - (6 Gallon) | MoreBeer

The buckets are stackable, and have huge lids so that you can just reach in and grab your hop bag (or hydrometer, or whatever) rather than having to fish it out with tiny tongs (or my preferred method- chopstix). .

That is exactly what makes me like them as well, being much cheaper and nearly indestructable helps also. I plan to add a few more and then only use my glass for apfelwein, secondary and bulk aging.

I tend to prefer buckets for my beer, and carboys for my wine/cider or anything I'm going to leave sitting in them for months on end. I find a carboy of Apfelwine, and a carboy of wine sitting behind my bar look rather attractive.

In fact now that I think of it, I wish I could carbonate in my carboys, because serving Apfelwine from a carboy would look quite attractive.

Also, does anyone have a decent idea how the better bottles compare to something like the Morebeer plastic carboys (such as: Plastic Carboy - (6 Gallon) | MoreBeer

Yes, a company called Polymer Engineering Company Ltd did a study and determined The Vintage Shop carboys (i.e., the Morebeer plastic carboys) are slightly thicker and have a higher melting temperature than Better Bottles, but are otherwise almost identical. Go to thevintageshop.ca and read the summary. I have 5 of various sizes and use them for wine and beer. Love them.

just simply based on cleaning, I think I want to buy a bucket for my next brew. I hate cleaning my carboy. Plus, like it was said above, I don't need to see my beer all of the time.

just simply based on cleaning, I think I want to buy a bucket for my next brew. I hate cleaning my carboy. Plus, like it was said above, I don't need to see my beer all of the time.

Buckets are certainly the easiest to clean. I will say I don't have any complaints about cleaning my better bottles. Overnight oxyclean soak takes care of everything.

If you are a gambler, go for the glass. Me, I prefer plastic. I have both Better Bottles and a bucket. I like the lighter weight and have no lingering odors from one beer to another. I also think that one accident and a trip to the ER for stitches or worse and the glass carboy suddenly becomes VERY expensive.

If you want to use water bottles you can just plan ahead and make slightly smaller batches. It would be a bit difficult if you wanted to use a kit as most are intended for 5 gallon batches.

So does heat pass through the plastic of a bucket or a better bottle well enough that a Fermwrap or similar will warm reasonably quickly and/or a fridge will cool quickly?

I have both types of bottles and have used FermWraps and a refrigerator with both, no issues with heat transfer. One thing I do like about the More bottle is that it has absolutely straight sides so no yeast gets hung up on the little "shelves" like it does in Better Bottles and Glass.

I use mine for wine and beer.

I have a 6.5 gal. glass carboy and 2-5 gal. plastic ones that I started on. I like the durability and lighter weight of the plastic carboy, but I find the glass one is easier to clean. For whatever reason, the ring of krausen seems to stick worse on the plastic carboy, especially if it has a chance to dry.

I'll usually use the glass as my primary since it has the extra headspace, then I'll switch to a plastic one if I need a secondary.

Back