Plastic Jugs for 1 Gallon Experimental Fermenters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoIguanaForZ

Reaction score
So, I'm interested in potentially taking a 5 gallon batch and doing things like, say, breaking it into several 1-gallon batches, each with a different yeast or flavoring treatment. (As an example, the initial idea that inspired this was taking a "honey blonde ale" recipe and fermenting some per recipe, some with actual honey, and some with agave nectar).

I'm not really interested in storing a whole bunch of glass gallon jugs, and nothing I do produces easily cooptable glass containers.

However, I can easily get my hands on a handful of empty, THOROUGHLY RINSED, 1 gallon plastic vinegar jugs. I'm thinking these might be viable for this purpose, since 1) they seem thicker and more durable than, say, milk-style plastic water jugs, and 2) they're presumably designed to hold acidic liquids without leaching anything harmful or significantly flavor-affecting, insofar as the pH of vinegar is rather lower than that of beer.

So, my questions are:

Has anyone tried using these? Either as experimental 1 gallon fermenters, or maybe for yeast starters?

Anything I should be aware of with repurposed plastic containers as fermenters generally?

Any tangible or concrete reason to expect problems?

(From what I've read plastic tends to be oxygen-permeable enough that I wouldn't want to have an extended secondary fermentation; is that correct?)

...so, in case anyone else is wondering, this SEEMS to work pretty well, although I'm not nearly confident enough to use the jugs for anything higher-stakes than "trying out these ingredients together" mini batches just yet.

Back