Plastic container

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinergy

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to this forum and Kombucha making.
The first time I was given a scoby, I only had available a plastic, food grade, container where yoghourt was done before, and I used it to brew my first kombucha tea
later on I read that it is better not to use plastic or metal containers. Still I wonder if a food grade plastic container might still be appropriate to use (without releasing substances into the kombucha)
My reasoning is that if these containers were used by a professional yoghurt vendor/producer, then they may be still useful for brewing kombucha as well.
What do you folk think?

My booch has a pH of 3.85,so if the yogurt has the same or lower pH it should work
I've never seen fermented veggies in anything other then glass at the store, the plastic bags some kraut comes in is more like PTE then HPDE

Food grade plastic will be fine. Pickles are often bulk packaged in HDPE buckets and those are just cucumbers, salt, spices and vinegar. Distilled vinegar is often packaged in plastic and that is way more acidic than your kombucha. As long as what you have is food grade it will be fine.

Back