plastic carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave11980

Reaction score
I've been thinking of getting some plastic carboys to increase my fermenting capacity without too much cost. I've read a bit on here saying the better bottle carboys are good but what if it's not better bottle? Anyone have any experience and/or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

A standard food-grade plastic bucket w/ appropriate airtight lid will work wonders for you.

I picked up a 7 gallon fermenting bucket from Austin Homebrew Supply, but you can really DIY a nice fermenting bucket. You'll just need to drill out the lid and pick up a stopper and airlock.

I've heard nothing but great things about the Better Bottles, but, for my purposes, the bucket fermenter does the trick at a low cost.

Plastic carboys are fine as long as they are #1 or #2 plastic... the most common ones are #7 which will leach into your beer.

wyazz, Not sure on the brand at my walmart but thats exactly what I was thinking of. Do you know if they mark the type of plastic so I can see if it's the right grade that staggerbrew mentioned?

The Aquatainer's are #2 (in the little triangle on the bottom) HDPE, so they are fine for fermenting in. The Better Bottles are #1 PETE.

They are made by Reliance . They are HDPE # 2 plastic, perfectly fine for beer
From their site
"Are Reliance water containers made from food-grade material?

Yes. All Reliance water containers (both rigid and collapsible) are made from food-approved plastic. These containers can be found by following the Hydration link on the Consumer Main Page.

Thanks for the tips, I'll look at the grade of plastic next time I'm there and maybe pick up a couple. The cool thing is I can use those to get cheap filtered water refills there too, which of course would be for my beer.

Back