Plastic bucket or anvil fermentor as a bottling bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldpaddy

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards getting another anvil fermenter and using it as a bottling bucket and using a wand attached to the spigot. I figured I'd use a hose attached to my primary spigot and drain it into the bottle bucket, add boiled sugar water and then bottle.
Before I pulled the trigger I figured I'd ask you guys your thoughts.
Thanks

I have a bottling bucket but the last time I bottled, I used my anvil fermenter because it has a nice dip tube and would be easy to clean. Worked just fine.

Welcome to HBT.

I'm not familiar with the Anvil fermenter, but from the website it looks like overkill to a high degree. A six gallon bucket fitted for a spigot works fine.

There are lots of procedures, but the most common is to gently pour the priming solution into the bottling bucket, and then siphon the beer onto it. The siphon tube goes onto the bottom on a tangent so the beer swirls and mixes the priming solution into it. Most brewers then stir very gently to make sure the sugar is mixed well.

I have a bottling bucket but the last time I bottled, I used my anvil fermenter because it has a nice dip tube and would be easy to clean. Worked just fine.
Do you mean you bottled straight from your anvil primary? If so, that's what I had hoped to do originally, but everything I've read says it's not a good idea.

I was fermenting a small batch for an experiment so I used a small carboy and planned on bottling instead of kegging. So my anvil was free and seemed like a good idea. I also agree with ncbrewer though that it's a bit overkill. A bottling bucket is much cheaper and you can make a dip tube for it if you wanted to. It is nice to clean an SS bucket instead of plastic though.

Do you mean you bottled straight from your anvil primary? If so, that's what I had hoped to do originally, but everything I've read says it's not a good idea.

I’ve bottled straight from an Anvil SS bucket plenty of times without issues. What are your concerns? Also curious why it’s not a good idea.

Attachments

• 43C5C3DE-7786-4FF9-AF47-A00C4A512C17.jpeg
    43C5C3DE-7786-4FF9-AF47-A00C4A512C17.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 71
  • 21A256D6-EC50-4099-A528-CACED2E5E50F.jpeg
    21A256D6-EC50-4099-A528-CACED2E5E50F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 69
I’ve bottled straight from an Anvil SS bucket plenty of times without issues. What are your concerns? Also curious why it’s not a good idea.
I said that because it appears to be a common belief among the internet and the internet is never wrong.
What are you using to prime with?

I said that because it appears to be a common belief among the internet and the internet is never wrong.
What are you using to prime with?

lol gotcha. 🤣

I used to use those carb drops but I found that corn or table sugar direct in bottles was more precise due to cracked/chipped carb drops. I targeted 2.25g/bottle which came out to 1/2 tsp/bottle. I added the sugar to the bottles first, filled, capped, then inverted a few times. I’d invert bottles another 2-3 times throughout priming. Worked well for me.

lol gotcha. 🤣

I used to use those carb drops but I found that corn or table sugar direct in bottles was more precise due to cracked/chipped carb drops. I targeted 2.25g/bottle which came out to 1/2 tsp/bottle. I added the sugar to the bottles first, filled, capped, then inverted a few times. I’d invert bottles another 2-3 times throughout priming. Worked well for me.
That's what I had planned on doing and might still do. I did order a priming bucket the other day. And another anvil fermenter. I plan on staggering a brew every 3 weeks or so.
Are you using 12oz bottles? I'm going to be using 22oz bottles which I think comes out to about 3 grams of table sugar. Which is just under a teaspoon.

Oops double post, see below.

Last edited:
Had to check my log... I did 12 oz bottles mainly but did a few 22oz as well. Used 2x 1/2 tsp on those without issue (well carbed, no bottle bombs).

Also, you can skip the cane and just use the ball valve to stop flow when switching bottles. You can also just pinch the hose. If you want to use a cane, a larger wine cane fits well in the tubing that in turn fits the ball valve tip.

Latest posts

Back