Plastic BPA in Speidel Braumeister

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
So I've been talking with Speidel about the Braumeister to find out what materials might contact my beer. They have unfortunately stopped communicating with me.

So I'm coming here. Does anyone know what material the pump impeller on the Braumeister is made of?

I've been told "food grade" but in today's world that can mean anything. Heck plastic bottles with BPA are food grade too....

My last unanswered question. I'm also sending Speidel a link to this forum in case they want to answer publicly.

>>>>>>

I appreciate your position on not wanting to give out distributor information. I am also impressed with most European standards, you guys really set the bar high and I wish USA would take note.

Although, we are NOT talking about water and plastic (or whatever material is it). We are talking about a low PH material at boiling points. Much how people believed water bottles to be safe, and they were with cold water. But once they were subjected to warm water BPA is released...

Now we are talking about something more acidic, at boiling, and pressure (from the pump). I am a highly active member of one of the largest homebrew forums in the United States and hope to report back that not only is your product safe, but that I personally own one and love it. I will only be able to do so if I know what I'm subjecting my beer to. Can you please tell me what martial the pump impeller is made of? I'm sure it's an email away for someone at your company. If it's a material safe to use, I plan to buy one. But I'm afraid the generic answer of, "our products are safe, trust us" is not acceptable.

If you can let me know as soon as possible I would certainly appreciate it. If you. Prefer you may also call call me personally xxxxxxx (removed so you drunkards don't call me :) )
Kindest regards,
Ryan Shosted.

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 17, 2014, at 12:54 AM, Leukart, Ralf <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Ryan,

in Germany the proof of drinking water is the highest standard you can get.
Higher then Baby food.
So it will also work well for your consumers.

Those kind of pumps are usually used for your warm water circulation at home.

Please respect that we in general do not tell unknown person like you who our supplier are.

Thanks for your understanding and

best regards
Ralf Leukart

Speidel Tank- und Behälterbau GmbH
i.A. Ralf Leukart
Vertriebsgruppenleiter

Krummenstraße 2 - 72131 Ofterdingen
Tel: +49 (0)7473 9462-31 - Fax: -99
[email protected]
www.speidel-behaelter.de

Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 381092
Geschäftsführer Georg Speidel, Stefan Speidel, Fabian Speidel
UST-ID-No DE 811 241 003

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Ryan Shosted [mailto:[email protected]]
Gesendet: Freitag, 14. Februar 2014 17:03
An: Wannenmacher, Irina
Betreff: Re: AW: Braumeister question

Dear Irina,

Thank you for the reply.
Unfortunately drinking water is not the highest standard with food grade items. When one is using plastic parts in an acidic ph, combined with pressure and boiling temperatures, there is even more likelihood that plastic parts can leach chemicals into a solution. I would refer you to reference the March 809 pump. It is the only pump that uses polysulfone for the pump head. This is a pump that is rated for use at high temperatures.

If you are unsure of the material used in your pump, could I get the manufacturer you source your pump from? My current brewery setup is all stainless steel. And while I would love to buy and use your product, I must be positive what material that pump uses to ensure the health of my consumers.

Sorry for being so demanding, I appreciate your help.

Sincerely,
Ryan Shosted

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 14, 2014, at 12:31 AM, Wannenmacher, Irina <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Ryan,

We guarantee you that all our products are in food-safe quality.

The pumps which we use for our Braumeister are also appropriate for drinking water. I' m sure you know that the drinking water is of the highest standard.

So you don't have to be worry.

Best regards
Irina

Freundliche Grüße

Speidel Tank- und Behälterbau GmbH
i.A. Irina Wannenmacher
Vertrieb Braumeister

Krummenstraße 2 - 72131 Ofterdingen
Tel: +49 (0)7473 9462-46 - Fax: -99
[email protected]
www.speidel-behaelter.de

Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 381092
Geschäftsführer Georg Speidel, Stefan Speidel, Fabian Speidel
UST-ID-No DE 811 241 003

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Ryan Shosted [mailto:[email protected]]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 12. Februar 2014 19:40
An: Verkauf
Betreff: Braumeister question

I have a question regarding your 50l Braumeister. I would like to buy one, but first need to find out what the pump impeller is made of. I take great care to only allow my beers to contact food grade material and wonder what the pump impeller material is?

Is it food grade safe?

If so, what temperature is it food grade safe to?

Do you offer a stainless steel impeller on that pump?

Is there any other non-stainless steel components that wort might contact?

Sincerely,
Ryan Shosted

Sent from my iPad

Due to the fact that speidel did not try and contact me back or follow up with emails, I've decided to not buy one. I'm working on a different solution.

With no follow up, I'd be afraid if something broke or I needed additional support on a $3,000+ piece of equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back