Planting Rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew18

Reaction score
Hi all, was hoping somebody can offer their opinion on properly planting rhizomes. I just planted six in my back yard directly into the ground. I dug about a six inch hole and placed the rhizomes on an angle and back-filled the holes. So on the shallow end, the hops are only a few inches below the surface. The ground is pretty moist now and once you get to about 10-12 inches there is a good amount of clay. I planted the hops a week ago but from what I'm reading am debating digging them up, digging deeper holes and then back filling those with some top soil. I'm really worried that the rhizomes nay rot in the wet soil or that the clay/soil mix may not be very conducive to proper growth Thoughts?

From reading stories of failures with growing hops here and on other sites, I think the golden rule should be something like "the more you fuss with them, the worse your success will be".

Your description of your soil sounds very much like mine. You currently have rhizomes in the ground surrounded by saturated native soil. If you dig them up and add a more desirable soil to the planting holes you'll end up with rhizomes in the ground surrounded by saturated "more desirable' soil as water takes the path of least resistance. Also, don't water rhizomes unless the soil is almost totally dry. They're not growing a foot a day like a mature plant does, so they only need enough to keep from drying out at this point.

Rhizomes can be planted horizontal or vertical, the plus of them being planted vertically is that when the new shoots emerge, they're already pointed upward and don't have to expend extra energy turning north from their east/west orientation. Another benefit of them being planted vertically is that you'll have less of a chance for the plant to spread/creep due to the orientation of the latent buds.

Planting depth is another question and I've seen suggestions of 1-6 inches below the soil. Whatever depth you plant them at, they'll eventually make their way to the surface with those planted deeper taking longer. A few years ago I saw a picture of a greenhouse full of hundreds of potted rhizomes for a hopyard expansion which showed the top inch or so of the rhizomes poking out above the soil in the pots? As an experiment, I stuck a few in the ground with the upper set of buds at the soil surface. Guess what, they sprouted within a week, way quicker than I've ever had them come up before. I think the exposure of the upper buds to sunlight probably activates some internal enzymes or hormones that helps kick things into gear much sooner than if they were buried.

Just speaking from experience, they're very easy to kill with kindness when getting them established. Once they're established, it's a different story, haha~~ Hoppy Trails

I have a question about planting hops as well... different question than the OP. I'm gonna hijack this thread. :)

I have some hop rhizomes I got last fall. They have been in my fridge ever since I got them. Can I just stick them in a tub of soil and call it done? I don't have any way to "train" the bines at this point, but people all around me have stands of very tall bamboo. I was thinking of just asking if I can cut a half dozen pieces of bamboo, maybe put a pully on one end, stick one end in the ground and run some jute or hemp rope though and let them run that way.

So I take it you'd reccommend leaving them as is? :)

I would say "yes", but that's just me.

I planted 5 Galenas on Monday and on my evening weeding last night I noticed 3 of them already up. I put them in about 1" under, and horizontal, but that is how I have done most of mine. Interesting Bob about vertical vs horizontal. Would explain why I am seeing a ton of new growth out the sides of the crowns on my second year plants. I guess it's a good way to get rhizomes going early in the plants life. :ban: The first rhizomes I planted were 2 years ago now, and I was told to plant them with "the shoots pointing up, so some I put in vertically as they had little tiny buds, and some ended up horizontal as they were already growing and that's how I interpreted "up". :) Either way, they will grow and in the long run, don't think it makes much difference.

I had to chuckle when I picked up my rhizomes on Monday, the shop proprietor asked if I needed the planting guide sheet (she must have forgotten that I have purchased 70 of my rhizomes from her) and I said "no thanks" I have 135 plants in the ground now, going on year 4. I'm certainly no expert, but you sure learn fast and this forum is an excellent resource. I spent weeks reading when I first got started and people like B-Hoppy and many others here were and are a huge help to us relative "newbies".

Cheers

I have a question about planting hops as well... different question than the OP. I'm gonna hijack this thread. :)

I have some hop rhizomes I got last fall. They have been in my fridge ever since I got them. Can I just stick them in a tub of soil and call it done? I don't have any way to "train" the bines at this point, but people all around me have stands of very tall bamboo. I was thinking of just asking if I can cut a half dozen pieces of bamboo, maybe put a pully on one end, stick one end in the ground and run some jute or hemp rope though and let them run that way.

Worry about the trellising later. If they are still alive GET THEM PLANTED IN A LARGE TUB OF SOIL AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. Fill it with potting soil. If there is any life in them at all they will grow; you can figure out the other stuff later. Rhizomes are hard to kill, but in a fridge since fall is pushing it.

Back