Plans to try different Yeasts (MO2, 71B-1122, Cote des Blancs)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chalkyt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It is almost apple picking time in Oz and following a cooler than normal summer here in the mountains, we have late, but bumper crops. I will be using a blend of my small orchard apples... Pomme de Neige, Cox's Orange Pippin (and another unknown pippin), Granny Smith and Crimson Knight Crabs. Depending on the volume pressed I may also use "bought" Pink Lady juice from a commercial cold climate orchard that I have used before.

My go-to yeast has been SO4, however this year I thought I would do some trial batches with this compared to MO2, which seems to be gaining in popularity. In looking at other options I notice that Lavin now have 71B-1122 and 71B-1122 Noveau (at twice the price!). Does anyone know what the difference is and have any opinions on the yeasts?

I will bottle at around 1.010 and waterbath pasteurise at around 1.006 for a slightly sweetened and carbonated cider, so as I understand it this should be fine for Cote des Blancs as another option as I won't be fermenting it fully down to 1.000 or below..

All opinions are welcome.

The only yeast on your list I have used is the 71-b. It’s my go to yeast for ciders because it will metabolize some of the malic acid and change it to lactic acid which is smoother.

The only yeast on your list I have used is the 71-b. It’s my go to yeast for ciders because it will metabolize some of the malic acid and change it to lactic acid which is smoother.
No, it doesn't. It does Malo-Ethanolic fermentation, which means it metabolizes malic acid into ethanol and CO2. Net result is a reduction of acid. I only use it with highly acidic musts (TA over 0.6%).

Thanks for the correction Maylar. I got it confused with MLF. Man it’s been a long week.

Back