Planktown Brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jobu

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am wondering if any one knows anything about "Planktown Brewing" that is said to be opening in downtown Springfield. There was some press a few months ago - mostly related to how that part of downtown was "cleaning up" - but not a whole lot of detail. They talked to the owner, and mentioned that the brewer is affiliated with Block 15 in Corvallis, but didn't say whether he would be here full-time or if he was just formulating the year-round recipes or really anything else about the beer (which of course, I care more about than floor finishes). If anyone has the inside scoop, I'd love to hear it. We can always use some more craft brew, and I'd like to see something on this side of town do well.

:mug:

Plank Town Brewing Co., 346 Main St., Springfield, is in the middle of construction. Plans are to open in the Fall, 2012 (hopefully October sometime). This project is brought to you by Bart Caridio, one of the owners of both the Axe and Fiddle (Cottage Grove) and Sam Bond's Garage (Eugene). Brewmaster Steve Van Rossem, currently of Block 15 in Corvallis, will be our full time brewmaster once operations begin. Steve has been brewing great beer in the Willamette Valley for almost 3 decades and will continue that tradition in Springfield.
Plank Town plans to eventually feature cask beers as well as barrel aged sour beers. We will be dedicated to developing and tantalizing the beer palate of our customers.
Stay tuned for more updates in the future.
-Planky!

This seems oddly trollish... two 1 post users about the same thing claiming to be different people...

I can assure you I'm not a troll (or a spammer, which is probably the word you were looking for). Everybody has to have 1 post once.

I was/am genuinely curious about this new brewery and, until recently, there was a dearth of information available. It seems appropriate to ask beer-related question on a beer forum. And Planky7 is obviously affiliated with the brewery; it's fairly obvious by the username and the post and I don't think s/he is attempting to hide that fact.

Lastly, it took two weeks for a reply to this thread and it still has under 100 views. This is hardly a high-visibility forum, and if I were a spammer I'd probably be fired.

Plank Town Brewing Co., 346 Main St., Springfield, is in the middle of construction. Plans are to open in the Fall, 2012 (hopefully October sometime). This project is brought to you by Bart Caridio, one of the owners of both the Axe and Fiddle (Cottage Grove) and Sam Bond's Garage (Eugene). Brewmaster Steve Van Rossem, currently of Block 15 in Corvallis, will be our full time brewmaster once operations begin. Steve has been brewing great beer in the Willamette Valley for almost 3 decades and will continue that tradition in Springfield.
Plank Town plans to eventually feature cask beers as well as barrel aged sour beers. We will be dedicated to developing and tantalizing the beer palate of our customers.
Stay tuned for more updates in the future.
-Planky!

Hey thanks for responding. I look forward to checking it out, and best of luck downtown. I'm hoping something great will move into the old Jim's Landing across the street, and hoping the year-round market will do well, too.

I can assure you I'm not a troll (or a spammer, which is probably the word you were looking for). Everybody has to have 1 post once.

I was/am genuinely curious about this new brewery and, until recently, there was a dearth of information available. It seems appropriate to ask beer-related question on a beer forum. And Planky7 is obviously affiliated with the brewery; it's fairly obvious by the username and the post and I don't think s/he is attempting to hide that fact.

Lastly, it took two weeks for a reply to this thread and it still has under 100 views. This is hardly a high-visibility forum, and if I were a spammer I'd probably be fired.

I'm happy you cleared that up because, to be honest, it did seem weird. Don't you think?

I'm happy you cleared that up because, to be honest, it did seem weird. Don't you think?

The response from Planky7 was obviously self-promotion, but he answered my question regarding the brewmaster, so I'm happy.

There seems to be plenty of local brew promotion happening in this subforum, so I don't really see what the big deal is.

I'm looking forward to hearing more, too. Having grown up in Springfield, I'd like to see more redevelopment of the downtown corridor. If Eugene is going to have the Whiteaker area as their Brewery Blocks, it would be great to see Springfield have several Nanos along Main Street.

I stopped by a few weeks ago and it looks like they are still a ways off from opening. The outside was still being remodeled and had holes in the floor. Went to the Mckenzie cider and craft beer festival in Springfield and Planktown had a booth and was serving a hoppy red ale that was decent. A little too hoppy for me but some like that stuff. The drone behind the taps said they would be open at the end of the year. Don't believe he was associated with Planktown at all though.

Drove by last weekend and noticed that they've removed the paper from the windows and can see most of the facility. Looks good so far.

thier brewer is coming from Block 15, I believe. They are supposed to have an open house this week and Wednesday with some beers to sample. Still not ready to open.

I drove by there on the way to the brewfest this weekend, still looks like they have a ways to go. I'm all for another local brew, maybe one that's not as hop crazy as the others in the area.

I tried their NW Red ale and it was pretty hoppy for a red ale. On the otherhand the head brewer is known for putting a nice balanced beer list together.

They are now open evenings, and are planning to open for lunches later in the spring. They started installing their brew equipment last week - don't have any of their own beer ready yet. Nice set up for a downtown brewpub - an island bar extending from the back wall to the center of the room, tables around the edges. Large windows open to the street and there is a lot of wood decor. Friend of mine said it looks like a woodsy PF Changs. Will go back for a second visit when they get their beers up.

They're now open @ 11am every day. Anyone know if they fill kegs yet? I still haven't had time to stop by and check it out.

They're now open @ 11am every day. Anyone know if they fill kegs yet? I still haven't had time to stop by and check it out.

I asked about it last week. They don't fill kegs, and they aren't even brewing there yet. They are still having their beer brewed at block 15.

I asked about it last week. They don't fill kegs, and they aren't even brewing there yet. They are still having their beer brewed at block 15.

Stopped by last night. They are now brewing on the premises, but not filling kegs as of yet. I'll go back in a month or so to see if keg-filling has begun.

How long did it take you to get a beer? We went by last night and sat at a table for twenty minutes and couldn't get anyone to take our order. We ended up just leaving.

I've always sat at the bar but never had a problem getting a beer. Wish they would rotate their tap selection a little more often.

How long did it take you to get a beer? We went by last night and sat at a table for twenty minutes and couldn't get anyone to take our order. We ended up just leaving.

Sorry, I missed this when you posted. We sat at the bar; both the male and female were pleasant and, for the most part, attentive. They did get a little busy and service wasn't perfect. Nevertheless, I was still satisfied with the service received.

The place is still fairly young and they still need to work a few kinks out. That being said, both the food and drinks we ordered were good enough for now; the burger was delicious. I'll definitely be giving them another try.

Okay, they've started filling cornies.

It sounded as if they hadn't done many fills as of last week, as their process seemed somewhat, um... flexible. I think the bartender said it would be $64 per fill, but I could be wrong. I'm not sure whether you can get cornies of everything on their menu, or just a few brews.

Back