Places to buy oxygen canister?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valicious

Reaction score
I'm looking to start oxygenating my wort with a oxygenation stone, and I'm wondering if this is a good setup/price

Medical Oxygen "E" Cylinder Tank - Steel - USED (25 cubit feet of oxygen) - $18.50 including shipping
http://cgi.ebay.com/Medical-Oxygen-...ultDomain_0?hash=item1c0f600d24#ht_874wt_1165
Oxygenation System - $35
http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/product/0102046/oxygenation-system
HEPA Air Filter (in-line) - $5
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_352&products_id=2289

I already have a plastic racking cane that I was going to put the stone in the end, this way it's easier to stick down into the fermenter. Does anyone know the diameter of the oxygenation stone, and will I be able to fit it in the racking cane? Should I get the .5 or 2 micron stone?
My other idea was to drill holes in the top of my primary fermentation buckets about equal to the sixe of the racking cane. This way I can quickly take the bung out of them and stick the cane in, all with minimal exposure to outside air.

So does this sound like a good plan? A complete oxygenation system for about $58 seems like a good price to me. I'm already making a big order at Brewmasters and Austin, so I won't have to pay extra shipping.

I'm about to buy a disposibal one at Home Depot. Going to buy a regulator and stone Brewmaster.com.

On second thought; I'm going to go with "disposable."

Believe I read a stone, filter, and aquarium pump are just as effective. The smaller holes clog easier.

Believe I read a stone, filter, and aquarium pump are just as effective. The smaller holes clog easier.

Not quite. Air (from a pump) is not as effective as pure oxygen. You want oxygenation, not aeration.

And I would check on filling that medical cylinder before buying it. Sure, it would last forever if you can fill it. But the little cylinders from Lowes last a while, and are cheap, convenient and don't turn into rockets if they fall over.

I use an oxygen tank from a Welding Supply store. It is part of my cutting torch rig. Mother in law pays the bill so I really have no idea what it costs. But I only use the torch 3 or 4 times a year. That leaves enough oxygen for about 7 years of oxygenating wort. Hehe.
Only problem is the guage doesnt measure such small amounts so you have to eyeball it.
I am on the lookout for such a guage now.

Not quite. Air (from a pump) is not as effective as pure oxygen. You want oxygenation, not aeration.

OK, you made me go find it. Page 35 of the current issue of Zymurgy.
Sierra Nevada uses AIR not Oxygen to aerate their wort.

OK, you made me go find it. Page 35 of the current issue of Zymurgy.
Sierra Nevada uses AIR not Oxygen to aerate their wort.

They probably pitch a massive amount of starter too: more yeast = less O2 needed as there is less growth required. Most homebrewers will not be pitching to that extent, although I have heard of some on here who have tried. This isn't your normal mrmalty sized starter though.

How can I increase the oxygen level in the wort?

Most homebrewers add oxygen into wort by shaking the carboy. This can only achieve 10-30% of desired dissolved oxygen levels. Commercial brewers force oxygen into wort using an inline aeration stone. Homebrewers can find oxygen stones at most homebrew shops.

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_FAQ.html

I went with the williams setup someone mentioned earlier because of the hard tube which seems like it will make it easier to keep the stone submerged. Just got an O2 tank (disposable) today from HD--under $9.

My first run will in a week or two...

Home Depot carries oxygen canisters, but won't tell you this. This has been discussed in the past. Oxygen is near the welding equipment I think (not far from power saws, etc.). The employees do not know this.

The employees are idiots

Fixed that for you.

I called about rubbermaid coolers and they said they only carried them in the summer (kind of made sense). But the next time I was in there, they were right there, just on the shelf above. If you can't find it yourself, don't even bother asking an employee.

Back