Pizza crust!!!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a shot from a batch earlier this year -- sundried tomato with basil from the garden.

That looks good. While living in Belgium my wife and I got hooked on scampi pizza which is just shrimp scampi, garlic and thinly sliced tomato and also fruit de mer pizza which has Salmon, octopus, calamari, shrimp and garlic

We make the scampi pizza all the time and sometimes Salmon pizza but it's too pricey to buy everything for fruit de mer

No just let them sit in the cooler till I'm done brewing and scoop off the top 3/4's, The grains are moist but not dripping. then I bag and put in frig or freezer till needed.

Glad to hear that freezing is OK. I have just thrown out grains from an Ordinary Bitter and a Dunkelweizen. I'm brewing a Barley Wine tomorrow then an Oatmeal Stout and Ed Wort's Haus Ale. I'll have a good mixture of grains to save for some pizza.

My mom (another home brewing junkie) makes this pizza crust. She says it's delicious. She also makes crackers and pasta from spent grain. I just make banana muffins, dog treats and bread. I'm going to have to give the pizza crust a try.

After a lot of experimentation with baking with spent grain, I prefer putting the grains into the food processor for a while. It doesn't seem to bother anyone else in my family, but after I eat anything with spent grain that hasn't been in the processor, I feel like I've been eating sticks and leaves. Putting it in the food processor changes your recipe a bit, but not a lot.

Pizza dough is much better if left to proof overnight. The difference in taste is amazing.

Having had some experience baking the tradition of "old dough," and the production of sponges, biga, chef, what-have-you, I would only modify your first sentence by the removal of the initial "Pizza." Every yeast dough I have experience with is greatly improved by a night in the fridge.

A possible place to start: 'Old dough' vs pate fermente | The Fresh Loaf

I'm going to brew a batch of stout tomorrow. My wife knew I was interested in making pizza crust with leftover grain and bought me this for Christmas. So now we have another pizza stone and a nice peel.
DSC_0256.jpg

Found this thread just in time to convince my wife that we should use some giftcards for a higher quality pizza stone instead of new drapes.

A good pizza stone is as cheap as a nice sized floor tile from your neighborhood household DIY store.

Back