Pittsburgh/Western PA Group Buy - Round 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha...

Thought you all might get a laugh.

Dear Dale Anderson,

Thank you for contacting PayPal.

As you said, those people owe you for fronting the money that they used to buy something in bulk/wholesale. But I just want to remind.

Personal payments can only be used for the following:

u Sending a gift
u Sharing a lunch bill
u Paying your share of the living expenses
u Sending money to friends and family.

Payments for group buy are not involved in the category of personal payments. So, we suggest you don't receive this kind of funds by personal payments in the future.

We have re-enabled your account for making Personal payments. In the future, please be careful to instruct your customers not to use the Personal payment option when sending you a payment for goods or services. You can send a Personal payment to send money to friends and family – but not as a method of payment for goods or services.

For the security of our online payment network, we regularly monitor the transactions that our customers send and receive. We disable the Personal payment feature for users who continue to send or receive Personal payments as payments for goods or services.

Please don’t ask or allow your customers to send personal payments for commercial use.

Personal payments can only be used for the following:

l Sending a gift
l Sharing a lunch bill
l Paying your share of the living expenses
l Sending money to friends and family.

If this was a payment for a purchase of goods or services, and not a personal payment, then you may contact the buyer and have him or her resend the payment as follows:

1. Have the buyer log in to their PayPal account.
2. Click “Send Money.”
3. Enter your email address in the “To” field.
4. Enter the amount of money they wish to send you, and choose the currency from the list.
5. Select “Goods”, “Services”, or “eBay Items”, depending on the purchase.
6. Click “Continue.”

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at [email protected]. Thank you for helping us resolve this matter.

Sincerely,
Ken
Personal to Personal Team

PayPal

...I'm looking into other services.

I think this falls under "sharing a lunch bill." You bought a lunch of several thousand pounds of grain and we were sharing the bill with you...

I think this falls under "sharing a lunch bill." You bought a lunch of several thousand pounds of grain and we were sharing the bill with you...

Yepp, I munched on a couple lbs of Munich Oatmeal for lunch today - Thanks Dale!

Wow how is splitting the bill for lunch ( purchase of goods) any different from splitting a bill for grains (also goods if I'm not mistaken). We are not customers, you didn't purchase and resell these grains this is in no way a commercial transaction. We are all "friends". It's a bunch of b.s. if you ask me. It's apparent this guy either doesn't understand the nature of the transaction or is a moron. Sorry you are having so many issues with this crap Dale. Really hope there is another service we can use or you will have to send our invoices as dinner at Morton's next time.

I found a PayPal like service but without the crazy fees. DWOLLA

Paypal charges $0.40 per transaction plus 3.~% of the amount.

Dwolla...my new friend charges $0.25 per transaction flat. Transfers under $10.00 are free. IMHO $0.25 for the transfers we were doing is not a bad deal. Its not free but whats a quarter compared to what paypal wants to rape us with.

the 3% sucks, but I'm pretty sure that is what the credit card companies take away from businesses for each credit transaction.

the 3% sucks, but I'm pretty sure that is what the credit card companies take away from businesses for each credit transaction.

Yes its around there give or take. My company does merchant processing along with other stuff. If I was doing a grain buy for business and profit of course I would eat the fees but for what were trying to do here and for the services paypal says you can transfer money for free... I think we should be able to.

Ohh well. I've already created a Dwolla account and linked my bank account. waiting for the change to be deposited so I can verify.

The thing is most people have paypal and most have not heard of dwolla Id rather pay the 3%. We are saving enough to cover it

First all grain. WTF is that. One down to about 85*

image-3671528416.jpg

Looks like cold break material to me. Do you use Whirlflock/Irish Moss?

I did my first electric brew today, and first time using pumps! It was a bit of a pain since I've been used to ol school propane, but it is going to be much nicer once i get the process down! Mash temps exact within a degree with the top of the cooler open the entire hour!

I did use a Whirlflock tab.

My recipe was based off of the Pottsville common (yuengling clone) but with my own twist

5lb 2row
2lb corn
1lb Vienna
1lb MO
.5 carapils

.5 cluster for 60
.5 cascade for 30

151 for 60

170 sparge

Saflager S-23

I'm glad that that was normal with the cold break but I seem to have an unbelievable amount of trub in the fermenter. I probably only ended up with 4.5 gallons of wort/beer.

image-1895661593.jpg

Wow. That is a lot of junk in the bottom of that fermenter. How much yeast did you pitch?

yes it looks like cold break. did you drain your boil kettle entirely into the fermenter? if so that may account for the amount of junk.

I did because the break didn't settle in the pot. As soon as it splashed in the better bottle it started settling out. Looking at it now I think I should have stirred it in the kettle, let it sit, then put in the better bottle. Should I have stirred in the boil pot?

By the way it's pretty awesome to talk to locals about my amateur mistakes.

Thanks

What are you using as a boil kettle? Does it have a ball valve with pickup tube on it? One good way to avoid the trub is to whirlpool (stir the crap outta the wort in the BK in one continuous motion) for a good 5 minutes. Let all the trub pile into the center, than either drain with ball valve (best if the pickup tube is on the side of the kettle or at least an inch or so above the bottom of the pot), or with a autosiphon/racking cane.

Me, I personally do not mind the trub, as long as it doesn’t cause me issues as far as fermenter size is concerned. I don’t primary for longer than a few weeks (so I am not worried about staling or other off flavors from the trub), and at that time all that crap is settled to the bottom and can be avoided when racking to bottling bucket or keg.

And yes that is typical pitching rate of a lager. Let me know how you like that S-23, I’ve never tried it but it would be a lot easier to use than making monster starters of a WLP or Wyeast liquid strain.

...So who is up for round three? (Just kidding of course). I have already brewed my way through 55lbs of grain.

Paymygasbill77 said:
...So who is up for round three? (Just kidding of course). I have already brewed my way through 55lbs of grain.

Ha! I went through 48.... this weekend! Gotta love back to back 10 gallon brew days to bump up the pipeline!

Well I'm a slacker. (actually I'm having problems getting my mill working) using a modified pasta roller for a mill, it seems to be OK, hoping I can get my machinist son to get rolling on a mill, we're heavy into the consulting phase of that project right now. But am wishing I got into some crystal malts.

Well I'm a slacker. (actually I'm having problems getting my mill working) using a modified pasta roller for a mill, it seems to be OK, hoping I can get my machinist son to get rolling on a mill, we're heavy into the consulting phase of that project right now. But am wishing I got into some crystal malts.

I still have to send my rollers back to get machined down. Otherwise the mill I designed is a beast. It probably weighs 35lbs.

This isn't the finished sketch... I can't find it...must be on work computer. I figured this may give you a start idea but then again maybe not and you'll want to go a whole different direction.

Basically an oversized Barley crusher

2012-04-23 09.42.20 pm.jpg

2012-04-23 09.42.49 pm.jpg

2012-04-23 09.43.08 pm.jpg

I bought a Carona mill. It works like a dream. I already have better efficiency than the grain I got from my LHBS.

Brewing my first batch since the buy on Saturday. Got my scale yesterday and it appears to be a bit off. Need to see if I can calibrate it. Its the ultraship 55.

Brewing my first batch since the buy on Saturday. Got my scale yesterday and it appears to be a bit off. Need to see if I can calibrate it. Its the ultraship 55.

That's the scale I got and it was dead on. What's it doing?

I weighed an 8 lb and a 15 lb barbell and each weighed about .25 lbs heavier than the weight marked on the barbell.

PJM said:
I weighed an 8 lb and a 15 lb barbell and each weighed about .25 lbs heavier than the weight marked on the barbell.

Might just be the barbells. I know I've picked up the same weight of barbells and they definitely weighed different

Do any of your guys have any experience with using oak chips or oak cubes? I thinking of doing and oaked pale ale but have never used any oak before

I did a Bourbon Pecan Porter that I used French oak chips in. Soaked a handful of chips in about 2 shots of Johnnie Walker in a mason jar for a week (during primary ferment), then added only the oak chips to secondary for another week (I didn’t dry the oak out, so some bourbon got in as well).

That beer had a whole lotta bourbon aroma/flavor to it, I had to let it sit for approximately 3-4 months before I liked it (I’m not a huge bourbon guy so YMMV). Over 1 ½ years later there are a few bottles still in the back of my fridge, and they get pulled out for the most special of occasions, its REALLY good.

I would taste test each day because the oak can quickly become overpowering if you leave it too long. Especially if you are trying to do a pale.

If you only want the oak flavor I would recommend soaking in vodka for a similar time period. Add only the chips and if you want a little more oomph than toss the vodka in too.

Im thinking my experience isn’t going to help you out much if you are doing a pale, but figured I’d share. You may want to start off with very little oak in secondary, and add more until you get a flavor you like.

My only experience with French oak chips is when I used some in a Russian Imperial Stout. Like KPR, I soaked 2 oz oak chips in 6 oz of Jameson. After 7 day in the primary, I added the chips and whiskey into the 5.5 gallon batch of RIS. I let it age 17 days before bottling. When I tasted it in the hydrometer sample (yeah, I taste them) I was worried that the oak might be too overpowering. However, I entered this beer into the Oak-Aged category of a competition, and the judges said that they tasted the whiskey, but not the oak. Needless to say, it didn't score so well.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share. My example was in a huge beer with all sorts of dark specialty malts. If you're doing a pale ale, I would follow kpr's advice and definitely sanitize it, then try an ounce and add more if you want it stronger.

Yeah I read an oz of chips for a 5g batch. How do you sanitize the chips though? I would like to avoid soaking in alcohol if possible. I think I read somewhere that someone steamed them. I brew an Arrogant Bastard clone fairly often so Im looking to either make an Oaked AB or just add some oak flavor to my haus ale

Yeah I read an oz of chips for a 5g batch. How do you sanitize the chips though? I would like to avoid soaking in alcohol if possible. I think I read somewhere that someone steamed them. I brew an Arrogant Bastard clone fairly often so Im looking to either make an Oaked AB or just add some oak flavor to my haus ale

Why the reservation on soaking in alcohol? Vodka will be practically unnoticable, especially if you drain it from the oak before adding.

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. Can't say that I've brewed much or am even close to needing more grain but I figured I'd see how everyone else is. I know it's DMace's busy season and he probably couldn't be the drop location but if people need grain and are willing to come to Indiana pa 15701 I could have grain delivered to my place of business.

Just seeing if there is interest.

Cheers all!

Back