Pitched the wrong yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnarl

Reaction score
This is my first post and the fifth beer that I've made. I've been doing some partial mash and decided to pull back on the experimentation and use some of the great kits from Austin Homebrew Supply. I brewed up a Kolsch from the mini-mash AHS Kolsch kit and everything was going great. Even had it in my new 5 gallon carboy with blow off tube set up. I then looked at the White Labs vial and realized that I'd pitched the Saison WLP565 instead of the Kolsch Ale WLP029!

The recipes are similar except that the Saison has darker grains and an extract pound of LME. What can I expect if I just stay the course and ferment at theWLP565 temps of 68 - 75F?

2.5 lb. German Pilsner
3 lb. Extra Pale Extract
2lb. Wheat Extract
1oz. Perle - 60 min
1/2oz. Tettnang - 15 min
1/2oz. Tettnang - 5 min
1 tsp Irish Moss - 15 min

Mistake: White Labs Belgian Saison I Yeast (WLP565)

Also, what do I do with the Kolsch yeast now? What a first post.

It looks like you have 3 options

1- Leave it alone and see what you get.

2- If fermentation han't started, put it back in the pot, boil it to kill the yeast cool it down and add the correct yeast. I don't know what effect the first yeast would have on the taste.

3- Pitch the correct yeast on top of the first yeast ferment at a lower temp and and see what happens.

I did a similar thing in February, A smack pack of Yeast Kolsch didn't baloon. I thought it was dead but I pitched it in anyway along with a package of standard dry yeast. I then cut open the smack pack and found out that I hadn't broken the inner pack. The beer turned out to be one of my best.

If it were me I'd probably just leave it alone.

Thanks for the tips everyone and in particular thanks for the link SwAMi75. Carboy is now covered with beach towels and getting extra heat from a heating pad. Now I'm going to sit back and have a homebrew.

Back