Pipeline is started, now what pace to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keg and I drink 2-10 pints a night (seriously I probably average 3 or 4). I brew every 2 weeks and it generally keeps up with me. Ocassionally someone else will have one but usually it's just me. I think the first thing you need to do is figure out how much you drink. If you drink 5 gallons a week then you brew 5 gallons a week and just stay ahead of it. One thing you do need to remember is that session beers go a lot quicker than high gravity/alcohol beers. Anything over 7% seems to take me 3 weeks to drink instead of 2. By the way, I have 6 cornies, 3 6.5 g carboys, and 1 5 g carboy and it seems that only the 5 g is ever empty (and sometimes that is full too). There have been points where I have "worked" to kick a keg just so I have room to brew again. God I love this hobby!:ban:

With friends, we brew 1-2 batches every 2 weeks, so by splitting up the bottled beer each time, there is always 3-5 different types available. Having many hands also makes the bottling task easier.

I haven't even read the whole thread, and perhaps I'm repeating, but from experience I'd say: BREW AS OFTEN AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN...(if you don't drink it yourself, you will have friends who will......)

I have 3 different beers that are bottled and ready to drink, plus 2 cases of beer I'm going to save for the 2011 holiday season and I have 3 5 gallon batches fermenting. One of them is getting dry hopped tomorrow, and the other two should be going into bottles around the middle of next week.

I'll probably brew another batch or two in the second half of the month.

I'm hoping to get a lager in before the temps warm up as I don't have a fermentation chamber or extra fridge, but I have a room in the house I don't heat and it's 50*F or lower in there.

Why not just brew a bunch and let sit in carboys? I've got 20 gallons fermenting right now. I just carbonate a brew 3 weeks befor i run out. the longer you let a beer sit in the primary the better it is i find. I think i average about 5 batches which are 5 gallons each a month. Keg one and bottle one, let others sit in carboys. I love to make beer so much that I just keep making it when I can! :)

The most I have had in the bottle and ready to drink at one time was 3 5 gallon batches last year (about 7 cases). It took me 4 weeks to drink it and gift to friends! I think a batch every weekend or two is very feasible for what your asking about. You can always pause to crack a cold one and ruminate about the space and time it takes to make enough brew for the wife and you.

catdaddy66 said:
The most I have had in the bottle and ready to drink at one time was 3 5 gallon batches last year (about 7 cases). It took me 4 weeks to drink it and gift to friends! I think a batch every weekend or two is very feasible for what your asking about. You can always pause to crack a cold one and ruminate about the space and time it takes to make enough brew for the wife and you.

I think i have a good tempo going. 6 different beers I could drink right now. A beer lagering, a Belgian honey wit fermenting, 10 gallons of apfelwein fermenting, a recipe to brew and a couple recipes I'm tweaking to put on the brew schedule.

Back