Pipe Threader Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelorax121

Reaction score
So I have the opportunity to pick up a rigid pipe threader set (00-R) with 5 dies for $70 and had a couple (possibly stupid) questions before I pull the trigger:

What size od pipe would I need to hard plump my system with 1/2" stainless and what would the minimum wall thickness be (ie. what is the thread depth for 1/2npt), and can I use stainless tubing as well, or does it have to be pipe? Second, can anyone think of any other applications besides hard plumbing to justify the purchase of the threader (besides it just being a tool i would like to have ;)). And out of curiosity, what are the required pipe dimenstions to tap 1/2" female threads? Thanks much!

So I have the opportunity to pick up a rigid pipe threader set (00-R) with 5 dies for $70 and had a couple (possibly stupid) questions before I pull the trigger:

What size od pipe would I need to hard plump my system with 1/2" stainless and what would the minimum wall thickness be (ie. what is the thread depth for 1/2npt), and can I use stainless tubing as well, or does it have to be pipe? Second, can anyone think of any other applications besides hard plumbing to justify the purchase of the threader (besides it just being a tool i would like to have ;)). And out of curiosity, what are the required pipe dimenstions to tap 1/2" female threads? Thanks much!

IMO etc:

1. Don't buy it. You will only use it once in a blue moon. Rent one instead on the very rare occasion you will put it to use. You also don't know the condition of the dies etc. They may be worn out or damaged. Just something to check out.

2. I don't know what the thread depth is for 1/2" pipe, but you will need substantial wall thickness. You won't be able to thread thin wall SS tubing.

3. The SS is going to be a bear to thread and especially if you are using a manual pipe thread tool. I have not done this, but from the my limited experience with SS, I've learned that it can be some tough material to work with.

4. I can't help with the pipe dimensions, but you should be able to google up some tables that list that sort of thing.

Again, you will only use the pipe threading tools very, very rarely and if you have any extensive threading work to do, I would rent a pipe threading machine and not do it manually. I am a sucker for tools myself, so I understand where you are coming from, but I've also learned to not buy tools that I won't get much actual use out of. It would be different if I had a lot of space and a big workshop, but still, pipe threading tools would probably not get used very often.

Back