PIPA IPA too fruity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bg1414

Reaction score
recipe is as follows for 5.5 gal. batch, I don't know if this would be too fruity and if I should maybe add something like simcoe instead of summit? Thoughts....

11lbs 12oz. 2 Row
1lb 4 oz. Vienna
8 oz. Crystal 40L

Hops:
0.8oz. Summit @ 60m
0.5oz Citra @ 10m
0.5oz Galaxy @ 10m
0.5oz Mosaic @ 10m
0.5oz Citra @ 0m
0.5oz Galaxy @ 0m
0.5oz Mosaic @ 0m

Yeast: WLP001

Secondary with 6 sliced Prickly Pears

Dry hops:
1 oz each of Citra, Mosaic, Nelson Sauvin

I'd just leave the pears out. That hop combo looks pretty delicious all by itself

I would like to but my cousin in law wants prickly pear and he's paying for the ingredients so...lol

I would like to but my cousin in law wants prickly pear and he's paying for the ingredients so...lol

Well if he is paying...:ban:

I am not even sure that the prickly pear will even come through with the rest of the flavors that will be going on in this IPA. Nevertheless, it looks delicious!

Prickly pear is pretty subtle even when you eat it by itself. I can't imagine it's going to make much of an impression with that hop bill. But at least you'll be able to say it is in there.

At the same time--and just speaking for myself--I have not had great results when mixing hops and fruit. I made a guava Belgian pale ale that was much better once the aroma hops (ctira & belma) aged out, leaving the guava to shine on its own. Hops described as "fruity," even like citra, just didn't seem to have the same taste, and didn't match. But your results may vary, especially with something as subtle as prickly pear.

If you are committed to the prickly pear, maybe it'd be better to do something more like an APA or the classic fruit wheat beer, instead of going nuts on the hops. If those sound too pedestrian, you could do a Belgian base (e.g. a wit) instead.

Yeah I agree with what your saying about the prickly pear. I'd rather taste these hops anyways so I think the pears will only affect color in the long run.

since the pears are going in in secondary you could split the batch and do half w/ the pears and half w/out and compare the 2

It's definitely going to be fruity as hell...Galaxy, Citra, and Mosaic are 3 of the most tropical fruit forward hops I can think of. Whether or not it will be too fruity is a matter of personal preference, but it sounds pretty damn good to me. As far as your bittering hop goes...I'm not sure you're going to get a huge difference in the taste profile...just should be a bit more bitter with summit.

this brew turned out pretty awesome. The fruit was not overpowering and the hops were well balanced with the flavor of the pears. Kind of like a hopped up watermelon jolly rancher!

this brew turned out pretty awesome. The fruit was not overpowering and the hops were well balanced with the flavor of the pears. Kind of like a hopped up watermelon jolly rancher!

How long did you wait before trying this one? I have a recipe more or less the same hop schedule as you (1oz of citra and mosaic at 3 minutes, figured it was a decent compromise between doing a 10 or 5 minute, or a flame out) but instead of galaxy I used saaz(figured I'd balance the super fruit with some earthy/floral tones).

You mentioned you had some citra/mosaic dry hop additions, when did you add them and for how long did you dry hop?

I tried it 2 1/2 weeks after bottling. Sat on fruit for 3 weeks, dry hop 10 days. I threw the hops into the secondary with fruit but wish I would have transferred to get more dry hop effectiveness

I tried it 2 1/2 weeks after bottling. Sat on fruit for 3 weeks, dry hop 10 days. I threw the hops into the secondary with fruit but wish I would have transferred to get more dry hop effectiveness

I will be going with more or less the same schedule then, tranfer to secondary, let it rest for a couple days (4) then drop my hops and dry hop for 10 to give it an even 14 day secondary. Did you happen to take any gravity readings along the way?

Back